PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Making New Keys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2010, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Making New Keys

HI folks..
I found this on the prcruiser web site,.. and wanted to write the guy that wrote if for some more clear details, or specifics. Never say a way to contact anyone there.. so I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows about this..

Quote:
Keys
[Introduction: the PT uses an anti-theft system where a small radio transponder is built into the head of the keys.] My 2001 PT Cruiser ignition cylinder locked up and caused me to crack my key when trying to start it up. Later the key broke off (not in the cylinder, thank goodness!) The locksmith replaced the cylinder but when he tried to reprogram the new keys, the code wouldn't work. He gave up and left me with the 2 new keys that weren't programmed, and the one old working key. Thanks to this forum I realized I might be able to program the new keys myself, but I needed two keys to proceed. Solution? Tape the head of the old key to the "courtesy key" (a key with no transponder head). The car thinks it is key #1; then used my one working key as Key #2. I then proceeded two program the 2 new blanks and saved around $75 to $100.
I'm trying to figure out if he means you tape a second key and tape it to the original key.. then insert the new key into the ignition and it should start... and that would program that key (even with no fob.??)
I can see where the new key would start the car, because the original key is taped to the new key and it can still read the code the key sends..?
I guess the way it is written confuses me,.. or I don't know enough about it to ask the proper question.
Anyone have any info, or can steer me in the right direction??