Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Bumpers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2010, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front Bumpers

I have a 2003 GT Turbo and my wife has ripped the bumper off twice now. The front end on these vehicles are so low that they easily go over the cement block stops in parking lots, but when you back up the bumper catches and as I said, she's ripped it off twice. Other than paying more attention, is there anything that can be done to the car to prevent this in the future? It's getting costly to buy a new bumper and have it painted. Thanks for any tips.

Rick
Old 06 Aug 2010, 05:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Front Bumpers

Hey their Rick,

Sorry to hear about your problem, and ye[, their have been many people in the same boat so your not alone on this one for sure.

I do have a couple of thoughts for you. I have seen a couple of different variations of kind of a nerf bar looking set up which fits up under the lower front valance which might better protect the front end. Most of what I have seen is overseas but if your somewhat handy with a torch and some tubing, it doesn't look too hard to maybe put something together. Here is somewhat of a few examples for you.

Another alternative might be to either pick up a thick piece of rubber, or metal plate and attach it to some brackets and mount it to the lower valance in such a way where it either provides additional protection against damage or allows to give way if rubbed up against parking stops so as to not cause further damage to the lower front end of your PT.

Something like that might help anyways. I wish you the best and good luck on trying to find a good solution.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 06 Aug 2010, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Bumpers

Welcome to the forums.
If you lower the rear, it rases the front by a bit...
PT Cruiser Lowering Springs (GPS-0300) For Sale
I lowered the rear on mine - I didn't like the "butt in the air" look, wanted better handling, and didn't like the rear wheel well gap.
Easy to do, need a floor jack and jack stands:
Jack up rear on rear axle 'till wheels are off ground (I put a piece of 2x6 between jack and axle to distribute the stress)
Put in jack stands where jack would go.
Unbolt top of shocks, lower floor jack..
Pull out old springs, put in new.
reverse steps.
I Bought a set from Shox.Com and just did the rears.
Keep drop 2" or less and there's no loss of ride quality (unless you carry sumo wrestlers in the back).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Aug 2010, 04:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When you pull up to a parking block, be sure you can see the end of the block out your driver's window. Pull forward until you can just start to see that end of the block below your sideview mirror, and stop there. You'll be at a perfect distance from the block and you'll never run over it again.

This works for virtually every vehicle made! When you can see the line or block just below your side view mirrors, that's the perfect place to stop.

If you're backing up, use the block next to you on the passenger side. Reverse until you can see the block at about the halfway point right in the middle of the rear passenger window. This way, you don't catch your rear bumper on the taller blocks.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 12:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Hi, I have a thread about this very subject. I received an estimate for about $1000 to replace and paint the bumper. What has it cost you, if I might ask?
Old 09 Aug 2010, 01:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
Hi, I have a thread about this very subject. I received an estimate for about $1000 to replace and paint the bumper. What has it cost you, if I might ask?
I'd get a second estimate. It would only cost around $6-700 for a full replacement bumper job at our body shop, and that's for an OEM bumper. If you went aftermarket, you'd be looking at probably $500 or so total.

labor to R&R a bumper is usually around 2 hours, which is $120 at our shop. Paint labor is about another 2 hours ($120) and materials ($75). That's $315 total for labor and materials. A bumper is probably around $200-$350 depending on what you get.

$515-$665 is what you should be looking at.

Of course, if you need support brackets, those are probably $20 extra, but they're included in the time to R&R the bumper, because you'd have to transfer the brackets to the new bumper anyway, so no extra labor there!
Old 09 Aug 2010, 11:35 am
Young Cruiser

Curb feelers mounted on the bumper?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome to the forums.
If you lower the rear, it rases the front by a bit...
PT Cruiser Lowering Springs (GPS-0300) For Sale
I lowered the rear on mine - I didn't like the "butt in the air" look, wanted better handling, and didn't like the rear wheel well gap.
Easy to do, need a floor jack and jack stands:
Jack up rear on rear axle 'till wheels are off ground (I put a piece of 2x6 between jack and axle to distribute the stress)
Put in jack stand set where jack would go.
Unbolt top of shocks, lower floor jack..
Pull out old springs, put in new.
reverse steps.
I Bought a set from Shox.Com and just did the rears.
Keep drop 2" or less and there's no loss of ride quality (unless you carry sumo wrestlers in the back).
For the jack stand, can I use any brand of this? Actually I have two kinds of this and they are completely different, can I use either of the two?or there is a specific jack for a certain car?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkadnrew45 View Post
For the Jack Stand, can I use any brand of this? Actually I have two kinds of this and they are completely different, can I use either of the two?or there is a specific jack for a certain car?
Can I have a specific brand for a jack stand with high quality? I really need feedback from you guys. thanks.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 05:42 pm
Banned

Just go to any good parts store, Autozone, Pepboys, etc. and have a salesman show you the jackstands and have him give you the pros and cons (usually none) of each one. Tell him up front what car you're going to work on and he'll give you a recommendation. Don't skimp on quality when it comes to jackstands and "no" jackstands aren't the type of product that you can say that one brand is better than the other because the brands simply arent well known names like Holley, Crane, MSD, Isky, etc. In short, go talk to the people that sell them. tirs

Jerry