Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2010, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt overheating

from searching the boards i see that its not an uncommon issue for these things to be overheating. ours did.... we changed the thermostat and flushed the coolant..still overheating so we took it to a shop and they said it was the head gaskets. well, we finally got it torn down to the gaskets and they were fine. since we had it torn open though we replaced the complete head gasket kit, the timing belt, serpentine and alternator belts, sparkplugs, a camshaft pully that had a crack in it and the water pump, flushed and replaced the coolant again and its still over heating.... the guy at the dealership said its probably an air buble in the coolant system, and basically to keep running it, bleeding it, and adding water till it stops and this will get rid of the air bubble.... now what im asking is is that really the best way to get the air out? or is there something else we can check? it overheats after driving about 5 miles, and the cars only at 59k miles. i have not yet turned the a/c on and listened to be sure if the fan is coming on, will do that soon but any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt overheating

Fan motor, test it out. The mechanic at the dealer is all wet!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Aug 2010, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

If it turns out to be the fan and this numb nuts dealer rebuilt your motor, I would really talk to a lawyer after talking to Chrysler.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 Aug 2010, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

lol, the dealer didnt re-build it, we did. but no the fans are working, i just never checked them myself my my father did. i assume its not the engine temp censor because when it says its hot it actually is. could the radiator be clogged? i think if it was though we would have noticed when flushing and bleeding the coolant system....just really frustrated that we did all that and still overheats on us.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 06:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousai View Post
lol, the dealer didnt re-build it, we did. but no the fans are working, i just never checked them myself my my father did. i assume its not the engine temp censor because when it says its hot it actually is. could the radiator be clogged? i think if it was though we would have noticed when flushing and bleeding the coolant system....just really frustrated that we did all that and still overheats on us.
It's almost rebuilt. Try bleeding the air out again, do you hear like a boiling over sound.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well, weve bled it about 5 times so far and its still doing it, from what i understand its really just a gamble wether or not bleeding its gonna get the bubble out... seems like a pretty dumb way to desing a coolant system... but so far it looks as if we just have to keep keep bleeding and then checking to see if it overheats again. if we discover anything ill post and let you know, thinking of taking it to an auto zone for a diagnostic...dunno what it would come up with that we havent already replaced but i guess its worth a try.