PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 pt timing belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2010, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 pt timing belt

hey all :
well been a guest at this site for a year or so have found wealth of knowledge so thanks.. but to the point i have a 2005 pt and have diagnose it down to timing belt or tension pully .. peak through the hole in timing cover to see that with new starter (another story) that when cranked the cam gears do not turn.
i am now with car on stands in my back yard digging into the car i am taking pic's along the way will post more as i do it just have seen a lot of post on this subject..

i am just a shade tree mechanic self taught by necessity..
with common hand tools..
we live we learn..
Old 07 Aug 2010, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 pt timing belt

Welcome to the forum, since you've only been lurking on the side. Good luck with your project. Hopefully you've seen all the problems with changing the timing belt that people have had that didn't have too much experience with major mechanical work. You've also probably seen that we always recommend to change the water pump also at the same time because it wears out just like the belt and you have to go through the same procedure to change the pump as you do in changing the belt. Might as well do them together and not worry about either for another 100,000 miles.

Be careful when lining up the gears as many pro and non-pro have done it wrong and had the dreaded ruff idle and and to do it all over again.

I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know it's not an easy job as you might have found out from reading the forum. Again, good luck. Let us know how it went.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Good Luck. Look forward to seeing the pictures

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 Aug 2010, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the advice yes i plan on replacing the water pump and all belts while im in it and have a print out that shows the timing mark line ups so if the car gods with me that will work out well
got to the head pulley and broke my mid size pulley puller and had to go find a beast to use but no good, got someone on way to get a torch to add a little heat so see how that goes ill get a few where at photos later on at least ill have some step by step photos might help the next person out

Last edited by dtw05pt; 07 Aug 2010 at 06:14 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Go to your nearest auto parts store and take advantage of the tools you can borrow. I borrowed the harmonic balanced pulley puller from Advanced Auto and it worked really well.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten44 View Post
Go to your nearest auto parts store and take advantage of the tools you can borrow. I borrowed the harmonic balanced pulley puller from Advanced Auto and it worked really well.
Yes this is excellent advice, I always forget Advance does this

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson