Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please Help Numerous problems 2003 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please Help Numerous problems 2003 pt cruiser

I recently bought a 2003 pt cruiser and I found myself to have quite a few problems; first off the breaks are really insensible ( in order to break you have to push them hard and only once they're past a certain point does the car start breaking), secondly whenever I drive on a road and it is slanted, and sometimes when i hit a bump on a slanted road the wheel pulls either left or right, and finally my biggest concern is that a couple of days ago I had the engine light go on, I re-tightened the gas lid, filled her up and the problem went away, today it came on again and I found out that it is because of my Cam Positioning Sensor. I don't really know what it is used for since this is my first car and I was really hoping someone would help me. I was planning on going camping tomorrow but with this problem I don't know if there's something that I can do to fix it or if I should take it straight to the dealership. I have no warranty on it so I'm really trying to avoid taking it in. Thank you for your time all help is appreciated.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 02:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Please Help Numerous problems 2003 pt cruiser

1) You need to open the hood and check your fluid level. Then You need to see if you have brake pads on the front by removing the front wheels and checking the depth/thickness of the pads.

If they are ok, then your brakes need bleeding. Just find a friend to help should be pretty easy.

2) check air pressure in ALL four tires to make sure they are equal... Then get on a level road and while riding slow let the steering wheel go to see if it pulls to one side. if not things are ok.

3) some one else can help you with the cam sensor. I Hope...
Old 09 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

1) thanks a lot will try it
2) tried everything lol the air is even in all tires and on even surfaces I can do anything and it won't pull
3) is my biggest problem I'm worried about taking the car out on the highway can it randomly stop?
Old 09 Aug 2010, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the car will come to a screeching halt if the Cam Sensor goes out because the positioning data won't be getting to the computer. It happened to me. A lot of owners have problems with the wiring harness of the sensor so that has to be checked before throwing in a new sensor. The siring goes from the sensor around the back of the engine and has numerous chances of rubbing against something that can cut the harness and then cut or burn the wires if they touch something moving.

Since this is your first car, I think you better find a friend who has mechanical knowledge or a trusted mechanic.

If it turns out you do need a new sensor, it's located on the right side of the engine as you look from the front of the car. See picture below. We also know that the PT Cruiser doesn't like after market sensors from auto parts stores so if you need one, get it from a Chrysler dealer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any idea how long it could take from the time the light goes on till the car can stop? It just came on today and I was wondering if I could get to my friend's house and back safely its like 10 miles away. Also is there any way to check what the exact problem is with the CMP, and how exactly can I find it, looking from underneath the car or just pop the hood and try finding it that way? Thanks a lot.

Alex
Old 09 Aug 2010, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Alex, what or who diagnosed that it was/is a cam sensor problem?

Welcome to the Forum!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Aug 2010, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Engine code P 0340= No camshaft signal being received by the computer. I just turned the key till I saw the code and checked it out online. Here's some pics if it helps I cant even get to the battery... Quite annoying. Thanks for all the help again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (92.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0227.jpg (94.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0226.jpg (91.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Alex939; 09 Aug 2010 at 03:31 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Alex,

All kidding aside, I really suggest you find a good mechanic or friend that knows what they are doing with cars.

With the light on, you shouldn't even be able to start the car. If you can, it might be an intermittent break in the wires or even a false code. No body can tell how far or even IF the car will stop.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Read this

PT troubles P3040 but great forum so no panic

And listen to the advice your getting or your going to get stuck with the PT somewhere.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson