PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trouble starting - '03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2010, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Trouble starting - '03

HI everybody

I've been having trouble starting my PT. I crank her, and she "tries" to crank, but doesn't really catch until after a few tries. We thought it was the battery as she's never had it replaced. But when we went to the Auto parts store, the gentleman tested the battery and of 600 CCA, she was running with 594.

I'm really stumped and don't want to get taken to the cleaners over trying to decipher what the problem is.

Can anyone help? Thanks for any advice you can lend
Old 13 Aug 2010, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble starting - '03

Welcome to the forum.

When was the last time the spark plugs and plug were changed?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I would test the cells of the battery individually with a battery hydrometer tester, thats the only real way to test it. I dont trust the "pros" one bit. You can pick up a battery hydrometer tester at tons of locations for around 5$ i believe,and even if it turns out its not your battery, you have it for when you do need a new battery and you know how to do it now.
But it could very well be an ignition problem just as CREWZIN said
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for Crewzin and Freezin!

OK, I got her plugs replaced in '07/'08 time frame, which my mechanic had to replace, when he did some other work on it. I trust him, as he's always taken the time to explains bits here and there about her, so that I could better understand HOW she works, and has taken care of her and me, for years now. He's not a franchise mechanic, and has always been upfront about what he knows vs. what he thinks

I WISH I were more auto-savvy girl, but I'm not naive either. My guy knows that if I can repair $30M fighter jets, that I've got SOME sense about me.....BUT I digress.

I DID explain the symptoms over the phone...but will prob take her in so he can have a look at her...

She's at 83K right now.

p.s. Thanks for welcoming me....you all are AWESOME!
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

When you say tries to crank does it sound weak, or like a nice full string crank that just doesn't start?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 Aug 2010, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

HI Dino:

Hmm...describing car sounds IN WORDS, from me -- a girl....LOL...OK will give it a shot.

After inserting the key and turning it in the ignition, you can hear her trying to turn over to start or "catch". OK...remember with older vehicles that wouldn't start, and if you kept the key in position to start for too long, that the car would flood? you know THAT repetitive sound...as if the car is really trying to crank but it just doesn't 'catch on' to run?

That's the best way I can describe it, hun.

I tried to get her into my mechanic on yesterday, but he was swamped. Once she starts though....she runs fine. It's simply a matter of getting her started.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm gone along with testing the battery out of the car, each individual cell and also cleaning the cables both at the battery terminals and the starter itself.

If it runs good after you get it started, the plugs and wires should give you some notice of them wearing out. tarting the car takes more poser out of the battery than anything else and if the connections aren't making good contact or the battery is loosing voltage after you shut it down, then the next time you try and start you'll have problems.

Lets see what your trusted mechanic has to say.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Will check back in when i get more results - hopefully good ones.

Thanks Crewzin
Old 15 Aug 2010, 02:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser91233 View Post
OK. Will check back in when i get more results - hopefully good ones.

Thanks Crewzin

Since it's an 03 and it's the original battery you may want to take a ride to autozone or another place that will install for free. This way if it is the battery you can save an hour labor charge and a marked up battery charge from the mechanic. The battery you have now is going on 8 years old and it would be good to change before winter comes anyway.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'd just get a new battery after that many years. And make sure the cable connections are very clean and sprayed with a good battery cable protector.

Dang! I have a 2003 PT--and I'm on my third battery. You must have gotten the good one at the Chrysler Plant that day ....

Tim