Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car is off, Boiling Coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2010, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car is off, Boiling Coolant

I have an '06 Cruiser, 93k miles. Car is not overheating and runs like a champ. Just got home from some errands and I shut the car off and the coolant is boiling and spitting out of the overflow container, so of course I am like WTF? so I pop the hood and restart the car. Cooling fan kicks on, boiling stops and the temperature gauge is reading at normal levels, shut the car off and it doesnt do it again. No issues other than that one episode of boiling coolant. My guess is a radiator cap? Oil is clear and no oil in coolant as far as I can tell. Working on vehicles is new to me, so please bear with my ignorance. Thanks for the help ya'll.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car is off, Boiling Coolant

Welcome to the forum.

I one-time occurrence is hard to diagnose but you could be right about the thermostat. You'd also want to check to see if there's any air trapped in the system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about my ignorance, LOL! I did a radiator flush about 3 months ago, could this be the culprit because I didnt bleed the air out? How would I do this?
Old 14 Aug 2010, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's like bleeding air out of a tire but you can be serious burned if you aren't careful. The bleed valve is under the radiator cap (see picture). You push in the center when it's cold and if there's air in the system it will come out. If it does come out, you want to unscrew the radiator cap and fill the system to the top. Hopefully you used HOAT coolant after you flushed the radiator or you'll have trouble in the long run inside the radiator. Then you want to heat the water up until normal temperature and bleed the system again, but this is where either some more air will come out or very hot water if there's no more air. be very careful!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Once it cools off outside I will go outside and do that. I just hope its not something serious. Unfortunately I am one of the unfortunate people to get laid off recently, so funds are scarce. From what it sounds like do you suspect something serious or more than likely an easy minor fix? Sorry to be bothersome.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"Mama" Welcome to the Forum.

Just try and bleed the air out first. Don't try second guessing on what else could be the matter. It is hard enough to guess what could be wrong let alone how much it could cost to fix.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Aug 2010, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bled the system and there was not much air if any. Should I replace the radiator cap? My biggest fear is that the temperature gauge inside the car is wrong and I am overheating and run the risk of blowing a head gasket or worse. I unfortunately dont have a temperature gauge to check it.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 05:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi,

What is HOAT collant?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 14 Aug 2010, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

HOAT=Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
It's a Mopar thing from what I have read. I personally used the Glycol based coolant when I did my flush (neon green stuff).
Old 14 Aug 2010, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruzrmama View Post
I bled the system and there was not much air if any. Should I replace the radiator cap? My biggest fear is that the temperature gauge inside the car is wrong and I am overheating and run the risk of blowing a head gasket or worse. I unfortunately dont have a temperature gauge to check it.
I would think if the radiator cap was bad, you would see some signs of of coolant around the area of the cap. As afar as the guage, I've never heard of one going bad, I'm sure they do, but not very often.

On your first thread you said you heard the cooling fan come on. Was it loud. The high speed fan is so loud you can't mistake it whereas the low speed you actually have to see it turning when the engine is running to make sure it's on.

Tags
boiling, coolant, overflow, overheating, radiator cap