Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone ever use Chrome Brite Tape?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Anyone ever use Chrome Brite Tape?

Hi PTers! I just got an '05 Convertible, Turbo, Touring Edition, Graphite Metal Grey with Black top. I'm looking at adding a little chrome: the grille and the spears. The spear covers I've seen are very pricey, and I saw a roll of something called "Chrome Brite Tape" that looked promising. Their packaging even shows someone putting it on a dimensional spear. Has anyone here tried this product? It does have a warning about "compound curves."

I'd also like to find some way to add some chrome to the grille, but the stick-on strips don't look like they would work very well with my kind of grille, and I'm not sure I can spend the $100+ on it. Plus, I don't like the overlays that also chrome the side edges. I just want the horizontals chromed. Any suggestions?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone ever use Chrome Brite Tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmountain View Post
Hi PTers! I just got an '05 Convertible, Turbo, Touring Edition, Graphite Metal Grey with Black top.

I'd also like to find some way to add some chrome to the grille, but the stick-on strips don't look like they would work very well with my kind of grille, and I'm not sure I can spend the $100+ on it. Plus, I don't like the overlays that also chrome the side edges. I just want the horizontals chromed. Any suggestions?
Welcome eastmountain to the Forum!! I have used the stick-on chrome strips on my 2008 Touring and they are still looking good. I have also installed them on another PT and they look good also. I got a 20' roll from Advance Auto locally.
PS. where are you located?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I guess I'll give it a try.
Was that the Chrome Brite Tape or the chrome molding strips with 3M adhesive?

I'm in Herculaneum, Missouri, just south of St. Louis about 30 miles.

Last edited by eastmountain; 17 Aug 2010 at 04:00 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

I've used the Chrome tape on the hood struts and the rear hatch struts and nobody can tell that they aren't the real chrome pieces that you can buy for a heck of a lot more money. I would think it would be very hard to cover the side spear because of the shape.

I also have the chrome strips on the upper and lower grill. They stick on with 3M tape right to the edge of the grill and they hold very well. I've had them on for about 2 years without having one come off or start to peel.

Front Struts.

Rear Hatch Struts

Front Grill Strips

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 04:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool. What size strip did you use on the grille? my horizontals come to a pretty sharp point and I don't think too wide a strip would work.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The strips, I would say, are about 1/4 inch wide but are "U" or "V" shaped to fit right over the edge of the horizontal grill bars. 3M tape on both the bottom and top inside the "V" so they really hold strong. You want to put them on the right place first time with a firm pressure.

They used to sell them on eBay pre-cut but I don't see them right now. You can go here and scroll down to the "CRUISER CHROME GRILLE KIT"

http://www.cruisermotorsports.com/Grilles.html

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Aug 2010 at 05:13 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used the same strips on my grill and as you can tell in sig. They stay on quite well..Also used the tape on my lift shocks.

Last edited by Ratdaddy; 17 Aug 2010 at 06:57 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I've used the Chrome tape on the hood struts and the rear hatch struts and nobody can tell that they aren't the real chrome pieces that you can buy for a heck of a lot more money.
Another great idea from the pros!! I'm going to go out looking for some of this chrome tape before the next show and shine!!!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Dont use the air duct seal tape...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 08:35 pm
Young Cruiser

I get what you mean about the U or V strips. The only stuff they had at my local auto parts store was flat where it taped. You used stuff like the door edge guard, but in a long coil. I found some reasonable at JC Whitney website. That's the way to go. Thanks.

Tags
chrome, chrome brite tape, convertible, grille, spears