Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
09 CV BOOT,, Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2010, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 09 CV BOOT,, Help!!!!

I have a 09 4 cyl that has a torn cv boot. I called the dealer and was told that i would have to replace the entire axel... why is this so? Dealers is the only one who sells axel for $200. i was told by some friends to try and find a split boot that i could use to replce the torn one (avoid dealer and labor). Maybe a split boot from a vw bug? Has anyone tried to replace just the Boot? I am tryng to save $. Thank you
Old 18 Aug 2010, 02:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 09 CV BOOT,, Help!!!!

I called my dealership about my torn cv boot and they said it would cost +$200. A local shop patched my torn cv boot with silicone or something just to get by for a little while. The mechanic there then scheduled an appointment for me to get it replaced under warranty. They didn't hesitate to agree, so I got it done for free. Little did they know that it tore during installing my Eibach springs..

Make sure it's only the cv boot and that you haven't waited too long or else too much grease comes out and it'll affect a lot more valuable parts! Good luck.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 03:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Call your dealer again and ask them specifically if the whole axle has to be replaced, why is there a replacment procedure for just the boot listed in DealerConnect? DealerConnect is the tool the technicians would be using, so the dealership has access to it.

They're throwing you for a loop. The replacement procedure for the CV boots is the same for every basic application. Remove the axle shaft, remove the clamps and pull the boot back, remove the CV joint, remove and replace the boot.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 08:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptshagger View Post
I have a 09 4 cyl that has a torn cv boot. I called the dealer and was told that i would have to replace the entire axel... why is this so? Dealers is the only one who sells axel for $200. i was told by some friends to try and find a split boot that i could use to replce the torn one (avoid dealer and labor). Maybe a split boot from a vw bug? Has anyone tried to replace just the Boot? I am tryng to save $. Thank you
If it's an 09 shouldn't they be fixing it for nothing, I can't believe it went already. If it's not covered and your dealer wants to hose you take it to a trusted local mechanic. If you don't have one talk to a neighbor or friend, I have had the same mechanic for 15 years, once you find a good honest one you stick with him.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 18 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
If it's an 09 shouldn't they be fixing it for nothing, I can't believe it went already. If it's not covered and your dealer wants to hose you take it to a trusted local mechanic. If you don't have one talk to a neighbor or friend, I have had the same mechanic for 15 years, once you find a good honest one you stick with him.
If he's not the original owner, it would depend on his mileage. Also, unless the dealer can determine that the boot failed rather than being torn open by an object of some sort, it likely wouldn't be covered.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was torn by running over an object. There is slight damage under the bumper that eliminates me from claiming manufacture defect. I called the stealership and was told i would have to buy the entire axle because they dont sell the CV boot alone. I am greatly considering taking it off and finding a similar size split boot i can put on. I refuse to pay the stealership my hard earn $$$. I know other people have gone through this and am hopeing for some insight. So if any of you guys have any ideas or heard of a McGuyver trick please let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 12:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
It was torn by running over an object. There is slight damage under the bumper that eliminates me from claiming manufacture defect. I called the stealership and was told i would have to buy the entire axle because they dont sell the CV boot alone. I am greatly considering taking it off and finding a similar size split boot i can put on. I refuse to pay the stealership my hard earn $$$. I know other people have gone through this and am hopeing for some insight. So if any of you guys have any ideas or heard of a McGuyver trick please let me know. Thanks guys.
Perhaps you didn't read my first post

The boot is servicable by itself and is sold seperately. I don't want to say the dealer is deliberately lying to you, but what they're telling you is not the truth.

I work for a dealer so I have access to look up this information directly from Chrysler. Do not use a Quick Boot. They're simply held together with an epoxy that "welds" the two sides together by a chemical reaction and they can fall apart pretty easy with normal use.

Just pick up a factory boot, or go to any parts store for that matter and pick one up there.

The part number for the outer boot kit is 05083090AA
The part number for the inner boot kit (just for reference) is 05014912AA

Last edited by heifetz17; 19 Aug 2010 at 12:38 am.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

NON OF THE LOCAL AUTOPARTS CARRY THIS ITEM,, EVEN WHEN I GOOGLE THE PART # NOTING COMES UP. IS DEALERDIRECT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WEBSITE ONLY? IM GOING TO TRY THE STEALERSHIP TOMORROW,, GIVE THEM THE PART NUMBER AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
NON OF THE LOCAL AUTOPARTS CARRY THIS ITEM,, EVEN WHEN I GOOGLE THE PART # NOTING COMES UP. IS DEALERDIRECT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WEBSITE ONLY? IM GOING TO TRY THE STEALERSHIP TOMORROW,, GIVE THEM THE PART NUMBER AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.
The use of all capital is the same as shouting, please do not shout as we read and do not listen. heifetz17 works at a dealership and is pretty good at giving advice and correct part numbers that the dealer has access to.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Aug 2010, 12:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You didn't search very hard. Less than 5 minutes of searching turned up this:
Specialty Products 33001 - CV Boots | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Yes, dealerconnect is a dealer only website. The part number I gave you is an OEM part number. Give it to the parts dept of your dealership.