Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C blowing hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2010, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C blowing hot

I just bought this pt cruiser a couple of weeks ago and have had my share of issues already. I have been able to fix most of the by reading and searching on this forum. Thanks to all. My a/c was blowing cold the it just stopped. I can not afford to take it to a mechanic right now so I am going to try and figure this out myself. The car is just blowing warm air. I tried to recharge the system put half a can of r134a in but still blows warm. I tried to bypass the low pressure switch but am not sure if I even did it right. Any suggestions?
Old 20 Aug 2010, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C blowing hot

The low pressure switch or Recycling switch is not your problem. That switch keeps the compressor going all the time without letting it go off and things freeze up and then you have no cold air until the freezing process stops by putting on the recirculation or just turning off the A/C for awhile.

You threw in 1/2 a can of R134a but you have no idea if that was enough and too much with burn out the compressor. They don't tell you that on the side of the can. You have the right idea but you need to know just how much R134a you need and the high and low side have to have the correct settings. Until that is correct, you can't tell if the high pressure switch is faulty or the compressor itself isn't burnt out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I realize I probably should not have put the r134 in. When I hooked the gauge to it it went straight to the red. think this is because the ac clutch isn't engaging. I just took the car for a drive, a/c is hot no matter how fast i go. I noticed the temp guage went over the half way point so I came straight home before it got any hotter. I am now thinking possible radiator fan. How do I direct wire this to check if its the relay or the fan. Thanks for any help
Old 20 Aug 2010, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just turned on the car and turned on the ac but the radiator fan is not spinning. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by DreamCruiser02; 20 Aug 2010 at 10:27 am.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCruiser02 View Post
I just turned on the car and turned on the ac but the radiator fan is not spinning. Hope this info helps.
It's your fan it should allways be on high when the AC is on, you can get one for less than 100 on ebay or at a local place like advance for about 160. And we have directions on the forum if your handy.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Dino, the fan should always be on with A/C.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks!!! should i check the relay or direct wire to double check???or are you pretty sure its the fan. a link to the directions would be great. I am in my garage with car on jackstands looking for the fan plug right now.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

The fan is a major weak spot so while I can't say 100%, if I was a betting man I would lay my cash down that it's the fan.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks bro. I will let you know how it turns out
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Try these.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

Oooops, didn't see Dino had already posted the link.