PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some advice on a PT Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2010, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need some advice on a PT Purchase

First time poster so thanks in advance for your patience and input:

I need to get my kid sister a car, she's going through a nasty divorce and it's big brother to the rescue. The local dealership where I got my Jeep has an 04 PT Cruiser Touring with 27,000 miles for $7995. I've never owned one of these (about every other dodge/chrysler product though). That being the case, I've got a few questions:

1. With the 2.4 and an auto trans, what sort of issues are the forum members running into? My previous experience with Mopar 4 cylinders are head gaskets at 50-60k miles and transmissions that go about 80 - 90k miles.

2. Any issues I should be looking for right out of the gate? With the low mileage I'm suspicious, I'm expecting the "Little 'ol lady who drove to church every Sunday" story.

3. What should I expect with the warranty? The 3/36 is long gone but I should still be under the 7/70 powertrain for a few months. You used to be able to transfer this for $150 back in the day - don't know if that still applies.

Thanks in advance!
Old 21 Aug 2010, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need some advice on a PT Purchase

Welcome tothe forum.

You'd have to ask the dealer about the warranty, what it came with and if it can be transfered.

The PT in my opinion doesn't have any more problems than any other small car that didn't cost a lot of money. A lot depends on how the previous owner took care of it. What maintenance was done, how it was driven and taken care of.

The trans is out of the Chrysler mini-van and there were problems but you talking a van that weighed twice the amount of the PT. A lot of us have gone over 100,000 miles with no problem, others had it go out under 50K. The trans like the engine needs to have the fluids changed. A lot of owners don't do it.

The front suspension has been given owners problems to some, others like myself have never had a problem. Maybe it depends on the condition of the roads where you live. No salt in Florida to eat up the roads.

If you can, have it looked over my a mechanic before you buy. If your expecting great gas mileage because it's a small car, forget it. Most of us are in the low, very low 20's. Some even lower, some higher.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have an 04 touring and it's a real nice ride, small but built like a tank so you can feel safe with your little sister in it. If taken care of the PT will go and go, if not maintained it will do what cars do and that's separate you from your money. We have guys on the forum with over 200,000 miles.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

The 2004 seems a bit overpriced. My 2003 (loaded) PT Limited Edition cost $23,000 when it was new. Today it Blue Books for about $6000.00--and that's at 67,000 miles ....

Check Edmunds or Kelly Blue for the true (dealer selling price) value of the car in your zip code area. And pay no more for it. Be sure to include all the car's amenities before dialing in the specs on line. Also, I believe the 7/70,000 powertrain/smog stuff warranty is transferable. The dealer will not tell you this, or course, because they want you to buy one of their expensive warranties. That being said, I purchased an additional wrap-around 7/70,000(almost everything warranty) to keep all the other non-powertrain parts insured in case of mechanical failure. The extra warranty paid for itself from the first time I used it (my entire A/C sustem needed replacement at 46,000 miles).

So if you get this car, pay only what it's worth (although I wonder why it had so few miles on it? It's a 2004?). Also, pay the extra cash for a very good extended warranty on it.

Or? buy your sister a car that doesn't need to be maintained as meticulously and gets better gas mileage. Something like a Mitsubishi Mirage that will go for 200,000 miles before it starts tugging at your sister's purse strings ....

Tim
Old 02 Sep 2010, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First and foremost, thanks for all of the feedback.

I ended up getting her an 08 that was Chrysler certified with 23,000 miles. It came with the 6 year / 80,000 power train warranty for about $9800.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 03:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc7383 View Post
First and foremost, thanks for all of the feedback.

I ended up getting her an 08 that was Chrysler certified with 23,000 miles. It came with the 6 year / 80,000 power train warranty for about $9800.
Sounds like a good deal

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson