Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Starting problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2010, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starting problems

Hello all.

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser that's currently dead in a Jewel parking lot. Back in April I had the starter replaced as it went bad; was fine for 4 months until today.

When I turn the key, I hear a slight click noise and then silence. All the lights are working fine; radio and power windows too. The battery is new so I don't think that's the issue.

Could it be yet another bad starter?
Old 23 Aug 2010, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starting problems

Clicking noise usually means the battery is weak. Strong enough to turn on the lights and some accessories but not strong enough to turn over the engine. The starter takes more power to turn over the engine than anything else.

That's the usual meaning of the clicking sound. Have you tried a jump start from a good source? If it starts right up then it is the battery. If you still get a clicking sound it means probably means there's a bad connection meaning yo need to take off the cable and clean them really good so they are making good contact.

You also have a starter solenoid in the mix to think about. When your starter was replaced, did you also get a new solenoid?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 23 Aug 2010, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Haven't done any jumping as I figured that the battery is fine since it's new. Why would it go bad after 2 months?

Not sure if the solenoid was replaced. Could it be the alternator/fuel pump?

Last edited by wargamer6; 23 Aug 2010 at 04:37 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One question at a time. First in two months you had things draining your battery while yo weren't driving. The memory for your radio for example. Some batteries store better than others and the best thing to do when you away that long it to hook it up to a float charger. They keep the battery up without overcharging it.

Next, no it won't be the alternator or fuel pump as your's won't even turn over. If it turned over and wouldn't start, there's a slight chance, very slight that it would be the fuel pump. The alternator charges the battery while your running. You aren't running. It could be the cause of the battery being run down if it wasn't charging enough before you went away.

Now, jump start it and see what happens.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
One question at a time. First in two months you had things draining your battery while yo weren't driving. The memory for your radio for example. Some batteries store better than others and the best thing to do when you away that long it to hook it up to a float charger. They keep the battery up without overcharging it.

Next, no it won't be the alternator or fuel pump as your's won't even turn over. If it turned over and wouldn't start, there's a slight chance, very slight that it would be the fuel pump. The alternator charges the battery while your running. You aren't running. It could be the cause of the battery being run down if it wasn't charging enough before you went away.

Now, jump start it and see what happens.

I'll do that this evening and let you know.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Didn't start after being jumped.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 06:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Didn't start after being jumped.
Still had the clicking noise? Wouldn't turn over at all? Sounds like you have to start looking at the starter solenoid or stater itself.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 08:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Still had the clicking noise? Wouldn't turn over at all? Sounds like you have to start looking at the starter solenoid or stater itself.
Yep. Just made the click sound. I wonder why the starter would die out after only 4 months.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Yep. Just made the click sound. I wonder why the starter would die out after only 4 months.

I tried a search on why a starter motor would die early and one of the things I came up with is how everything works:

Take note that a little electric current flowed throughout the starter transmit coil, closing the contacts then sending a huge current towards your starter motor assembly. Also, among the pole shoes that is hinged in front and connected to the starter power, and spring-loaded further than its regular operating and swinging position. This stimulated a restrain gear to connect the flywheel loop gear, and concurrently closed a couple of heavy-duty contacts transporting current to your car’s starter motor winding. Your car’s starter motor cranked the engine till it started. The problematic clutch within the pinion gear disengaged the gear coming from the loop gear.

Personally I don't know what that all means but I guess there's a lot of things that can go wrong and render the starter useless.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Aug 2010 at 09:54 am.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 10:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm. So I went back up there now and it started after being jumped. Now I'm confused.