PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
3rd breaklight defuser maker

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 3rd breaklight defuser maker

Here's something for some who've been around the block a couple of times. More than a few years back I ordered and received a 3rd breaklight defuser that simply slipped between the light and the rear window. They had a bunch premade - Merry Christmas, Happy Halloween, etc. - but they would also custom make them too. These things didn't stick on the outiside of the window nor did you have to take anything apart. It just fit between the light and the window. So, now I'm passing the PT on the son and I'm getting another one. So I'm looking to get another of these defusers. It seems to me that I read one time that the company that did these sold out to somebody else who did PT accessories. Does anybody have a notion of what I'm speaking or where I might find this product? Any insight would be most appreciated.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 3rd breaklight defuser maker

Sure, go to StreamlineDesign - Get Graphic With Us! and look around the site and you can make up your own.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 07:38 am
Regular Cruiser

That's the first place I went, Cruzin. I thought it maybe was from them that I got my last one five or six years ago. The only thing they were suggesting was the kind that required an installation involving the 3rd brake light. That's not what I'm looking for. The kind I presently have and would like another just slides right between the light and the window and is held in place by a couple of rubber things whose purpose is to apply enough pressure to keep the thing in place. If I can't get this kind then I suppose I'll go with what Streamline has but what I'm looking for is not what they have on the web site. Thanks for weighing in on this. I'm grateful for the effort. Surely, I'm not the only one that ever got a 3rd brake light of this style.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Streamline Design does have the flexible ones that you can easily change. Check out this link. At the top of the page are the $14 and $19 diffusers that are flexible and easily removed and changed and the bottom of the page has the $10 and $14 diffusers like mine that are semi-permenant. Your looking for the $19 ones that you can custom make and easily change.

http://www.streamlinedesign.com/ptcruiser/pt3bl.html

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Aug 2010 at 07:50 am.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mission accomplished! I slid the thing out this afternoon and there was a sticker on it that told me it was made by Cruiser Motor Sports. They called it a Presto Change-O. I just went to their web site and ordered what I needed. I can't thank you enough, Crewzin for your assistance. Had I viewed your latest response I might have gone in the directon you offered. At any rate, do know of my gratitude to you and anyone else who might have been thinking of offering assistance.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 11:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Be real careful, messing with the CHMSL (center brake) light is a real no, no! Any modification to that light is against Federal law. Now we both know that some cop isn't going to be knocking on your door or pulling you over for using one. However if some day someone rear ends you and a smart attorney for the person that hit you notices your modification, you might find yourself in a civil suite paying large sums. Might never happen but as far as I care it's not worth the chance. Also, now you can't say you didn't know.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 12 Sep 2010, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks you Gary. As you can see on mine, I also have the 18 inch strip of LED's on the rear spoiler, but your warning is not why I added the extra light. I checked with my Florida Criminal Law and Motor Vehicle's Handbook and neither that or the Federal write-up on vehicle CHMSL lighting says anything about modifications to that light. Only where it's placed and how it works. Lawyers, yea we all know about them. If they want, they can come up you having a piece of chrome that temporarily blinded the "at fault" driver or any stupid add-on so he can prove his client not guilty. But I'll tell you in fact, even if you have no lights working (ticket-able offense) and you get hit from behind when you stop, the driver that hit you still comes under one of several offenses that caused him to crash into the back of your car and he/she will still (using discretion) receive a citation. I give them all the time. The 3rd brake light defuser still allows enough light through to be seen by the driver behind.

Old 04 Jun 2012, 06:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default OLD' N SlO

I ordered, received and installed the custom word, center high mount brake light diffuser. "OLD" N SLO" my brake light says;
I can try to get a picture.
The item received was sized and shaped precisely as the rear window black-out of my 2004 base. The diffuser was easy to place and install directly against the inside glass surface.
The light from the bulb unit doesn't evenly fill the letters bottom to top and needs to be brighter.
I have some ideas: The bottom and side inner surfaces of the red plastic light cover could be covered with reflective tape.
I need brighter led bulbs to replace the existing w16w bulbs.
Perhaps a led light strip inside the rear glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Streamline Design does have the flexible ones that you can easily change. Check out this link. At the top of the page are the $14 and $19 diffusers that are flexible and easily removed and changed and the bottom of the page has the $10 and $14 diffusers like mine that are semi-permenant. Your looking for the $19 ones that you can custom make and easily change.
PT Cruiser 3rd Brake Light Diffusers
Old 04 Jun 2012, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OLD' N SlO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The light from the bulb unit doesn't evenly fill the letters bottom to top and needs to be brighter.
You could always cut it down a bit so it just says: OLD

Old 04 Jun 2012, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 3rd breaklight defuser maker

I have a stupid question about the 3rd brake lens. I had to replace bulbs in our 2006 high stop light and found it fairly simple. However, I discovered that the red lens can be installed either of two ways. One surface has little rubber pads and the other doesn't. I have tried it both ways and can't determine which way is correct. At first, I thought the rubber pads would co against the glass, but that surface of the lens is smoother than the other side, which has more detail and looks like it should face out, which puts the feet against the plastic trim cover. I didn't pay attention when I took the lens off the first time.