Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Head Scratcher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2010, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Head Scratcher

I have been letting my step daughter drive my 06 cruiser 2.4 auto,to college and work.The cruiser has aprox 86,000 on the clock and I'm starting to have some problems with it

My step daughter on her way home from work last night called me and said that the pt was feeling like it didn't want to go when pressing on the gas while cruising at hwy speed.I really didn't want her to stop somewhere in the dark so I told her to keep driving it and to try and make it home,she did.

I got up this morning and took the pt for a long test drive.The pt started up fine and went into D quick so that's a good start.
I then proceeded to drive off without a hitch no problem yet.I do however feel a bumping under the drivers side front and also here something like wire scraping as i'm rolling along(could be the cv drive axle on that side),so that is the first problem I discovered.
I then kept driving so as to heat things up to normal driving temp.The pt shifted fine throughout all the gears but I did notice a problem when cruising like she said.The cruiser did not want to go forward (faster) when I stomped on the skinny pedal,it felt like I had all the noise with the engine without all the power to the wheels.
I then at the same hwy cruising speed put the stick in 3rd and had all the power like normal and shot off like the 2.4 I have know before.

I'm a really good shade tree mechanic and have many years of working on stuff however I don't have the money to have this repaired so I would like to know what opinions you members have or a starting point

I did change the tranny fluid and filter at 66,000 also a tune up too

any help will greatly appreciated
Old 28 Aug 2010, 10:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Head Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckz6319 View Post
I have been letting my step daughter drive my 06 cruiser 2.4 auto,to college and work.The cruiser has aprox 86,000 on the clock and I'm starting to have some problems with it

My step daughter on her way home from work last night called me and said that the pt was feeling like it didn't want to go when pressing on the gas while cruising at hwy speed.I really didn't want her to stop somewhere in the dark so I told her to keep driving it and to try and make it home,she did.

I got up this morning and took the pt for a long test drive.The pt started up fine and went into D quick so that's a good start.
I then proceeded to drive off without a hitch no problem yet.I do however feel a bumping under the drivers side front and also here something like wire scraping as i'm rolling along(could be the cv drive axle on that side),so that is the first problem I discovered.
I then kept driving so as to heat things up to normal driving temp.The pt shifted fine throughout all the gears but I did notice a problem when cruising like she said.The cruiser did not want to go forward (faster) when I stomped on the skinny pedal,it felt like I had all the noise with the engine without all the power to the wheels.
I then at the same hwy cruising speed put the stick in 3rd and had all the power like normal and shot off like the 2.4 I have know before.

I'm a really good shade tree mechanic and have many years of working on stuff however I don't have the money to have this repaired so I would like to know what opinions you members have or a starting point

I did change the tranny fluid and filter at 66,000 also a tune up too

any help will greatly appreciated
Do you get an engine light at all? Any leaks?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Aug 2010, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Do you get an engine light at all? Any leaks?
I'm sorry I forgot to mention there is no MIL(CEL) on
and no leaks that I can see
Old 28 Aug 2010, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm going back out to look around the pt and check fluid in the tranny.I just wonder if it could possible be a selnoid in the tranny, but then I'm just guessing at this point
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I'm going back out to look around the pt and check fluid in the tranny.I just wonder if it could possible be a selnoid in the tranny, but then I'm just guessing at this point
The solenoid is the weak link. sometimes they start to leak.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
The solenoid is the weak link. sometimes they start to leak.
the solenoid would cause that kind of problem?
I did check the transmission fluid and it's still cherry red and at proper level
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do the Key Dance to see if there are any codes to give us a direction.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
the solenoid would cause that kind of problem?
I did check the transmission fluid and it's still cherry red and at proper level
I'm no expert just going by what I read on the forum, you would rather it be the solenoid it's a lot cheaper to fix than the whole transmission. And it's good to know first so a tranny place don't hose you for a new transmission when you need a solenoid.

Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Do the Key Dance to see if there are any codes to give us a direction.
sure, I'll go out and do that in a few minutes and report back about my findings
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
I'm no expert just going by what I read on the forum, you would rather it be the solenoid it's a lot cheaper to fix than the whole transmission. And it's good to know first so a tranny place don't hose you for a new transmission when you need a solenoid.
yea I agree with ya!...if worse comes to worse and the tranny is going bad I would purchase a used one with a warranty and install it myself.I do have all the equipment to do so but that kinda work is not fun anymore