Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT tire exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2010, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile PT tire exchange

Hi bought a 2001 pt cruiser limited, came with 16" chrome wheels and low profile tires. hate how you feel every bump. The streets where I live are not the best to ride. What is the best option to change this? change tires and wheels or just put regular tires on same wheels if this is possible. Want smooth ride and since car is driven in North east (NJ) some safety on wet snowy conditions, what would be the best ride, safety, price combination? thank you CG
Old 29 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PT tire exchange

I recommend the Michelin Energy or Michelin Harmony line. I've used both and felt like I was driving on glass. They're a little expensive, but they have a very long service life (80k miles I believe), so it's worth it!

You'll definately want to look for a touring or luxury tire for a smooth seamless ride. No sense in changing the wheels, though. Just find the right tire and you'll be happy.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 12:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would agree with the Michelin Harmony tire. I put them on my 06 and love the ride. I have some back issues and they have worked out well.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 06:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have Michelin HydroEdge currently with 36,000 and they show minimal wear. To date, the ride has been smooth and quiet.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Agree with all so far. My 04 came with Goodyear something-or-other tires that were some premium tire made special for sale at Sears. They were OK but rode rough. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto P205/55R16 tires when I swapped out the OEM steel wheels for a set of the 16 inch chromed aluminum dimpled wheels. The difference in the handling and the ride was simply amazing. Roads in Arizona are pretty good, but even on rough pavement these tires smooth out the bumps pretty well.

I learned a long time ago that cheap tires are never a bargain in any manner at all. Bad wear, bad handling, bad ride. Since 1973 I've bought Michelin and never regretted it. I backslid twice, to Bridgestone, and regretted it both times. If I was low on money, my second choice would be Pirelli.