PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Take a look at my windshield defrost vent...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2010, 02:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Take a look at my windshield defrost vent...

See the weather stripping? Is it supposed to be like that or did somebody do a bad job putting it in it's correct place? Can I fix it without removeing the dash?
Thanks, Matt

Old 29 Aug 2010, 02:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Take a look at my windshield defrost vent...

Mine looks the exact same way...I think it is supposed to direct the air towards the sides of the windshield, so that just one vent is needed.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Learn something new every day.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 03:48 pm
Young Cruiser

If that is correct, they sure picked crappy material and didn't bother to color it dark. That stuff will dry up and rot away. I have two round grills in the corners of the dash, what are they for, speakers? I thought they were vents. So much of the car is designed real well, I'm surprised that they may have done that with the window stripping.
Matt

Last edited by onemat; 29 Aug 2010 at 04:34 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well I know you got one answer but I gotta say mine doesn't look that way at all. I have a gray molded piece under the grill that looks like an elongated figure 8 that either directs the air to either end of the 8 or a little bit towards the middle. Nothing at all to do with the weather stripping, if fact it looks like a well thought out design to direct the air.

and as far as the other small grills on either end of the dash, they are there to direct air to the side windows for defrosting purposes when you direct the air towards the front windshield.

I'd take a picture but my computer is in the shop (caught a bad Malware) and I'm using my wife's computer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 07:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm with Crewzin on this one. That piece is't even a weather strip, it's just a piece of foam padding that has somehow came out of where it's supposed to be. You might try a screwdriver to stuff it back under the dash cover and out of sight, otherwise you might have to pull the dash. It has nothing to do with directing air flow.

And yes, the two "grilles" are for speakers. There will be speakers there if your car has the premium sound option.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 08:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
I'm with Crewzin on this one. That piece is't even a weather strip, it's just a piece of foam padding that has somehow came out of where it's supposed to be. You might try a screwdriver to stuff it back under the dash cover and out of sight, otherwise you might have to pull the dash. It has nothing to do with directing air flow.

And yes, the two "grilles" are for speakers. There will be speakers there if your car has the premium sound option.

Thanks Crewzin & Heifetz for your answers. Any guesses which direction I should move that foam, towards the windshield or back twards the seats?

As for the speaker grills, do you guys think the wiring might be there underneath the grills?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 29 Aug 2010, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually, looking closer at your picture, you might have what I have under that piece of weather strip/foam. It's just hard to see. I would try and push that piece towards the window, straight along the window edge.

Couldn't tell you if the speaker grills have the wires running up to them but if you can get up there, try looking up from the bottom if you can get your head up under the dash to see if you can see some wiring going in that direction. Those grill don't come out, so if you did have the wiring, you'd have to take the dash out anyway to retrofit some speakers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 04:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

What year is your car? I actually just looked this up, and you won't need to remove the dash. The top dash cover is removable, and it's pretty easy!

Remove the two A-pillar trim pieces. They're just clipped on.

If you have an 01-05, remove the center bezel/window switches/climate controls. This will expose two screws/bolts holding the top cover on. Remove them and pull the cover toward the seats and up.

If you have an 06-10, simply pull up on the top cover with a trim stick. There are no bolts or screws, just clips. Then pull rearward and out.

This way you can throw in some speakers and fix your foam piece!
Old 30 Aug 2010, 11:58 am
Young Cruiser

Hi,

The car is an 2008. I'll see what I can do with your instructions.

Matt