Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spent some time with a Chrysler mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2010, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Spent some time with a Chrysler mechanic

I spent a couple of hours with a no-nonsense Chrysler dealer mechanic this past weekend. He specializes in trannys, but works on a lot of repairs. He is from my church, and given the fact that I know him and the casual atmosphere in which we were talking (I was riding with him back from a church men's retreat), I trust his judgement.

I was able to verify some things said on this forum, and debunk some.

Mainly what I got from our discussion is that we have a transmission that is tried and true, and used on 100s of thousands of Chrysler products. It's a good tranny, despite what naysayers proclaim on this site. BUT, it is not a tank. We have to take care of our trannys. Regular fluid changes as recommended on here. The motor is rock solid also - again, used in 100s of thousands of vehicles.

I would say that I plan to keep my PT for over 200k. I've always been good at preventative maintenance, and that's what the PT needs to keep rolling.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 30 Aug 2010, 09:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Spent some time with a Chrysler mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmdsm27 View Post
I spent a couple of hours with a no-nonsense Chrysler dealer mechanic this past weekend. He specializes in trannys, but works on a lot of repairs. He is from my church, and given the fact that I know him and the casual atmosphere in which we were talking (I was riding with him back from a church men's retreat), I trust his judgement.

I was able to verify some things said on this forum, and debunk some.

Mainly what I got from our discussion is that we have a transmission that is tried and true, and used on 100s of thousands of Chrysler products. It's a good tranny, despite what naysayers proclaim on this site. BUT, it is not a tank. We have to take care of our trannys. Regular fluid changes as recommended on here. The motor is rock solid also - again, used in 100s of thousands of vehicles.

I would say that I plan to keep my PT for over 200k. I've always been good at preventative maintenance, and that's what the PT needs to keep rolling.
I think most of us agree with that.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 Aug 2010, 10:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

While I agree wholeheartedly, keep in mind that not all Chrysler 2.4s are the same engine. There are several different ones. For instance, the 2.4 in my wife's Avenger is not the same 2.4 as in my PT.

Good point though, about the maintenance. We see very few problems at our dealership with PTs that have been well maintained.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:08 am
Banned

I agree holeheartedly!!! That's why you haven't heard anything bad from me about our engines or tranny's. I LOVE my PT and it's a lot more than hundreds of thousands of our trannys that are out there and working fine. The PT alone sold almost a million and a half units and that doesn't include the other Chrysler products that share our drivetrain.

Jerry
Old 31 Aug 2010, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

Good to hear. I will confess I've not been very good about preventive maintenance with my other cars in the past, but I plan to be with my PT Cruiser convertible. I love how it looks and runs and handles, and I hope to have it a long, long time, so I'm going to do frequent oil changes and make sure I get synthetic oil for the sake of the turbo. My cars in the past were pretty much beaters...old pickups that I didn't even wash because I didn't care how they looked. The PT is different. I want to baby this one.

Did the mechanic say anything about how often to change the tranny fluid? Does anyone else have maintenance recommendations?
Old 31 Aug 2010, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmountain View Post
Did the mechanic say anything about how often to change the tranny fluid? Does anyone else have maintenance recommendations?
Flush (with a machine, not chemicals) every 50,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Aug 2010, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Any recomendation when to change the Getrag fluid (besides what the scheduled maintenance states)?
Old 31 Aug 2010, 05:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Flush (with a machine, not chemicals) every 50,000 miles.
Don,

I'm coming up om 30K and was planning a tranny flush then. Is that too soon? I do not drive my PT hard.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 01 Sep 2010, 02:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post
Don,

I'm coming up om 30K and was planning a tranny flush then. Is that too soon? I do not drive my PT hard.
There's no such thing as "too soon" unless you're talking 10k miles or so.

If the fluid isn't bright red, by all means flush it. You don't need to wait until 50 or 60k, in fact my personal recommendation is to inspect the fluid every 15k and replace every 30k.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

30K to 50K, depending on your area. And whatever you do, don't overfill it. This causes air bubbles, the kiss of death to our trannys.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790