PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Considering buying a PT Cruiser. Advice? Warnings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2010, 04:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Considering buying a PT Cruiser. Advice? Warnings?

Hi, I'm looking at a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with 70K miles for my mother-in-law. She's 78 years old and just needs basic transportation to get to the store a couple times per week. It needs to be safe, and most of all, reliable (because I'll be the one she calls when it breaks down!).

Is this a good car? What should I be looking for specifically when I go to inspect it?

I will appreciate any and all feedback...good, bad and ugly.

Many thanks,
Dan.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Considering buying a PT Cruiser. Advice? Warnings?

Danno, welcome to the Forum!!! One of the main things is to find out if the maintenance records come with it or if they have any kind of records available. Be aware that at about 100,000 miles you will have to change out the timing belt, water pump, tensioner which will run about $800-1200 for the job, might as well to change the other two external belts as well. Have a trusted mechanic check the front end for wheel bearings, tierod ends etc. Good Luck. They are a very safe car, your gas mileage will probably suck as they only get about 18+ around town and 22+ on the highway. I am on our 3rd PT so I really like them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Aug 2010, 06:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate the tips and feedback.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Danno,

Some have problems with over heating do to various reasons. If you can, let the car sit at idle with the A/C on. The temperature guage should stay at mid point (once it's warmed up) and not move at all even after 10-20 minutes at idle, and the A/C should blow cold air.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. I will do that when I test drive it on Saturday.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

-If the AC is not that cold at idle but gets colder at cruising speed ...over 40mph or so ... Most likely your rad fan is missing its high speed.
-Motor mounts do break, the rubber on them cracks and your motor will jerk around and be clunky.
-Look for rust under the right rear rocker panel. if you live where there is salt on the road for winter, the rockers in the rear right will rot out.... why? I don't know but all of the pt cruisers I looked at that were not looked after or well oiled rusted through there.
-Clunking in the rear. A good chance the watts links are gone.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 04:40 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks Chigger. This is good stuff. I'm going to inspect/test drive the car tomorrow, so I will look for all of these things. Shouldn't be a problem with rust though, as the car was originally titled in CA where is spent the first two years, and has been in TX ever since.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i jus replaced my bell crank, im at 112,000 miles. thing was clunking on every bump i hit