PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sudden loss of Power Steering after PT being jump started?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2010, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Lost Power Steering right after jump starting battery?

I need help on what could be the problem with my power steering on my manual 2002 Pt Cruiser?

So yesterday I was parked outside a store for about 15 mins, stupidly I had left my lights on and my car wouldn't start.
I was able to get someone to jump my car, and it started right away.
After letting it idle for a few mins, I put the car in reverse and could hardly turn the steering wheel. Luckely I was close to home and was able to get it home.

I'm really tight on money right now, and am game to try and fix the problem myself, with the help of my bf.

I've googled the problem, but am not coming up with anything. Could it be the Power Steering pump? Or, maybe something happened to the power steering switch when I jumped the car?

Thanks.....Lanie

Last edited by lanies_ptcruiser02; 06 Sep 2010 at 03:21 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sudden loss of Power Steering after PT being jump started?

It's probably the steering pump. Loads of us have had to replace them. Mine went as I was turning the corner and almost didn't make thew full turn. If you want to change it yourself, here's a how to:

How to Change a Power Steering Pump on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If your battery was dead after 15 minutes with the lights on, you either have a bad battery or a charging issue because it should not have lost the ability to start the car after that short of a period.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry NOW A/C isn't working......Sudden loss of Power Steering after PT being jump started?

So I had to drive my car to work today with no power steering....no choice.

On my way home, I turned on the A/C and it won't get cold. I checked all the fuses, they are all good. I should mention at this point that about 2 weeks ago my front passenger window suddenly stopped working.

I had started the car, and opened the drivers and passenger window to let the hot air out while I turned on the A/C. When I went to close the window, it would only go up part way. It was making a sound like it wanted to go up or down....but couldn't. At the time I looked into whether it might be the master front panel switch, and that was ruled out. I have not had the window fixed yet....again, due to lack of money. I was quoted $425 if it was the motor and $525 if it was the regulator as well.
My bf and I had planned on fixing that when I could afford the parts (after taking it to my mechanic to diagnose first).

I thought I should mention that....don't know if it is related?

Last edited by lanies_ptcruiser02; 06 Sep 2010 at 05:40 pm. Reason: New development.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So, NO power steering, NO cold air from the A/C and the front widow is NOT working.

Was this car bought used? Was there any signs of water damage or a major crash?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I bought it used about 3yrs ago....from the original owner. I have the original service records from the owner, I also checked carfax and it has not had water damage or major damage.

The only accident it has been in was a few months ago when someone ran into the rear driver side panel and light. The light still works, just some body damage and the light cover was broken.

The only other thing is that the dash lights are somewhat dimmed. I can't think of anything else that could be relevant?
Old 06 Sep 2010, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All could be symptoms of a short circuit, weak battery, or charging system problem. See my post above. Have your battery load tested and have the charging system checked. If the battery and charging system check out good, you should start checking for high power drains in the electrical system. For this you will need to connect an ammeter in the battery circuit, and note the reading. Anything over about .07 amps would be suspect. If you see a high drain, start pulling and replacing fuses one at a time until the drain stops, then you will know which circuit is the problem. If you have a bad window motor that could be it right there, so you might start by pulling that fuse.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was just saying to my bf.......what do all three things have in common? He said nothing. I didn't argue.....just logged right into this forum....It makes total sense that there has to be something causing all of the "loss of power" problems.

I will check on the battery and check all the fuses as you suggested. I've never used an om meter...but will go on youtube to see how.

thanks for all the suggestions.....If it is a charging system or short circuit, what am I looking at to fix it?
Old 06 Sep 2010, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you pull the battery and the alternator and take them to a local auto parts store, they will test them for you for free. If they check out, try charging the battery fully and putting everything back in. Then pull the fuse to the power windows and drive around a bit and see if the other things work. That might be the best way to start out, especially if you don't have an ammeter or know how to use one.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Sudden loss of Power Steering after PT being jump started?

It turned out to be an easy fix......A bad Power Steering/ AC belt.

$58 dollars later including labor and I am......"back on the road again".

Thanks for all your help!