Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser Radiator & Calipers Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2010, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser Radiator & Calipers Needed

I took my car in today to our local Midas, to get my rear brakes checked out. I was called few hours later saying that I needed new rear shocks, calipers, rear brakes and a new radiator(since now apparently leaking from top)
Quoted at a little over $1500.
I want to attempt to put in a new radiator, the calipers and break pads if at all possible as I don't have the $$$ to pay someone that again.

I am hoping there are some diagrams or a manual expliaing this process a little better. I hear it is a complicated job since the fit is so tight.

Any help is greatly appreciated..
Old 07 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Radiator & Calipers Needed

If you go anywhere except the places like Midas that work on commission for the parts they sell, you can probably cut that price in half.

If you don't know what your doing with the brakes, have a professional do it. Your talking life and death situation here if you mess up.

As far as the radiator. If you buy a new one, just look at how the old one is put in. Just have some decent tools handy and start taking parts off that are in the way. The first time I changed the fan housing in my PT that's exactly how I did it. Just took parts off until I got what I wanted. I'd also get a second opinion on the radiator, as you might be able to have it fixed instead of replaced.
If you don't like that idea. Read this:

How to Replace a Radiator on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Sep 2010 at 03:40 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much I will give it a try soon as I get it in.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

1. Where are you at? Sometimes a local list member can help.

2. I would rather eat bees than take a car to Midas.

3. I would not recommend Midas to someone I detested.

4. I would bet real money that at least 1/3 of the work they are recommending is bogus and does not need to be done at all. And, I would further bet that if they did it, they would do it wrong. Get another opinion.

My first experience with Midas was in 1970. My last experience with Midas was in 1970. Observations of other people's experiences with Midas from 1970 through 2010 have done nothing to change my opinion, only to make my opinion of Midas worse.

Rant mode is now turned off. My apologies, and welcome to the list!
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank You..I am hearing that alot today no one like or trusts them. I know I took it in for rear brake check and ended up coming up to $1813 estimate. I was like no way. I am located in Pismo Beach area in California. I have one person I do hope to take to, but it will be another $95 fee..
Old 08 Sep 2010, 03:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Midas is poo. I knew people who worked there and they would just replace stuff if the customer complained of a squeak or if they had a rock in a caliper, they replaced the whole front brakes and calipers.
That was how the company worked.
They suck.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Tags
2002 repairs, calipers, pt cruiser, radiator