PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 base--Is it possible to have a non-chipped key?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2010, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 base--Is it possible to have a non-chipped key?

Hi all,

Well, the car is almost mine--the dealer called and they are doing the alignment (per my request) and putting two new tires on (their idea, at their expense). I don't know whether to pop the champagne or continue worrying obsessively.

Anyway, here is my question: the car came with two keys--not the kind with the buttons you press to remotely lock/unlock the doors, just keys with a big fat plastic coating on the non-business end. So, being the kind of person who loses my keys all the time, I took them to the hardware store to have a duplicate made. The guy put my key in this reader thing they have and said, "I'll be darned...there's no chip in this key." He tried it several times with the same result. So he made me a plain old replacement key.

So then I check the owner's manual and they blab blab blab about the "sentry key" with the chip in it and how if you try to use another key to start the car the engine shuts down in 2 seconds.

So here's my questions: Is it possible that a 2006 base with 5-speed could have a non-chipped key? And if I try the flat key I had made and the engine cuts off, can I just remove the flat key, use the chipped key, and be good to go?

Thanks to those who have the patience to read through my meanderings!

melluna
Old 07 Sep 2010, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 base--Is it possible to have a non-chipped key?

Discuss it with the dealer, they should know!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Sep 2010, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would think the non-chipped key will tell you right away if you need the chip and the system should be OK if it does shut off and try to restart with the other key. If it does shut off. Wait a few minutes for the system to reset before using the keys it came with. Just going by the locksmith, they should know if it had a chip in it. The owners manual is generic and sometimes, like now, you can't tell if it talks about the Touring, Limited or Base models.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Sep 2010 at 07:49 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 07:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It is possible to have a non sentry key vehicle. Those are typically originally rental cars for the the same reason as you want. Keys get lost frequently and it's much cheaper to get just a standard key. Actually now that I think of it rentals are typically automatics.... Chrysler did a lot of experimentation around that time with different options and oddball stuff. A/c was an option instead of standard... 4 wheel disc brakes with no ABS... And I seem to remember an ABS setup with rear drum brakes. To sum it up...Yes it is possible.
Very simple test is to start with the new key. If it runs for more than 2 seconds then you're good. If not then then a good way to work around it is too cut the head of the key with the chip off and glue it as close to the ring around the key slot. Then you can use a regular key.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 06:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There's no such thing as a 2006 model with a non-chipped key. The locksmith doesn't know what he's talking about.

ALL Chrysler keys with the fat gray head are chipped. If it wasn't chipped, it would be a flat key with a black head.

If you start it using the non-chipped key, it will shut off after 2 seconds. Simply put in the chipped key and it will start right up. It's an active system, so you don't need to wait for it to "reset".
Old 10 Sep 2010, 06:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
There's no such thing as a 2006 model with a non-chipped key. The locksmith doesn't know what he's talking about.
Sir I do beg to differ with you. Having been a Chrysler technician for almost 10 years I think I know what I am talking about. They are VERY rare but do exsist. Like I said mostly rental cars or fleet type vehicles.

Having said that... if the key does have a bulbous head on it with the Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep logo and is grey then it's 99 percent a SENTRY key vehicle.

Chrysler did a lot of weird things with the PT around that time. The best one I saw was making A/C an "option". Ummmmm..... does any body drive a car with out a/c by choice? Not counting if the A/C doesn't work.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 07:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Sir I do beg to differ with you. Having been a Chrysler technician for almost 10 years I think I know what I am talking about. They are VERY rare but do exsist. Like I said mostly rental cars or fleet type vehicles.

Having said that... if the key does have a bulbous head on it with the Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep logo and is grey then it's 99 percent a SENTRY key vehicle.
You mean like the key at the top? These are what came with my '06 Limited... I use the black one. According to Carfax it was a company lease prior to me buying it last year.

Just curious.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The key head with the panic button is the key with the chip in it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Sep 2010, 08:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Actually both keys have chips in them. The one on top is typically for a vehicle with out keyless entry. They will also work on a vehicle with keyless entry you just don't get the remote function. Non SENTRY keys are flat at the top or even concave to an extent.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 08:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

WE just bought an '07...
We only got ONE key.. and it looks like the one in the top of the pic above..
We don't have any sort of one that has a lock or unlock button..

SO since the one on the top of the above pic is one without a chip.. I assume we have the same type key with no chip... but it's confusing, that if it has no chip,.. how does it start at all>>

Hey Slartyblarfast... can you fill me in one what (IYO) that I have.. it's all so very confusing...
I'd like to get a spare key.. and if mine doesn't have a chip, ANY sort of blank would seem to work fine..??
I'm just trying to figure out the right thing to do to get a spare key... (without spending a boatload of money)