Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Inner tie rod end tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Inner tie rod end tool?

Anyone know how to break free the inner tie rod end without removing the entire steering rack? The frame and lower suspension crossmember are all in the way. I managed to get a 8" pipe wrench around it but no leverage. Tried a basin wrench and even vice grips and tried to tap with a hammer but no dice. I know theres loctite so I think I just gotta get it just once really hard and it'll come free.

I suspect there is a tool but there are so many diff tools for inner tie rod ends and no info. the typical rent tool expects crowfeet flats, which there is none on the ITR. An example - both Autozone and Advance Autoparts site and instore databases state: "For easy removal use tool # 969258" but nobody has any ideawhat that tool is! It's not in either of the part stores databases. It's not a HELP part, and google only reveals that part listing!

Why could they not have put flats on it! D**n you Chrysler, D**n you!
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:48 am
Banned

Default Re: Inner tie rod end tool?

refer to PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

It suggests a couple ways of freeing it. Read whole first page of the thread please. Hope this is what you were after.

By the way, if i didn't get the link right I'll try again. I'm really bad at that.

Jerry
Old 12 Sep 2010, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is all talking about the outer tierod end. The inner is what im having trouble with. I built a tool with 1.5" exhaust pipe and set screws but ended up flaring the pipe and popping out the set screws

Ptcrew seems to have found a tool to work so i think ill grease it all up (the bad inner tie rod ball joint) put the boot back on and wait till the tool arrives.

Has anyone done the inner tie rods without the special tool? How have they done it?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 01:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Inner Tie Rod Tool: eBay Motors (item 330469747331 end time Oct-06-10 22:45:18 PDT)

check out this tool
Old 15 Sep 2010, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SOLVED.

On another note, are the clamps that hold the rubber boot (where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack) reusable, Bob?

Last edited by calvin; 15 Sep 2010 at 03:48 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just finished her up tonight. That Lisle tool is the bees knees and worth every penny. I don't think my own 04 limited is the same way though, so I'll be selling my tool soon or renting it out LOL.

I found the outer clamps reuse just fine, they were the metal clip variety that squeezes open with a pair of ordinary pliers. The inner larger ones were not. I had to destroy them to get the clamp off. I replaced with hose clamp screw type, with the screw pointed down.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
I just finished her up tonight. That Lisle tool is the bees knees and worth every penny. I don't think my own 04 limited is the same way though, so I'll be selling my tool soon or renting it out LOL.

I found the outer clamps reuse just fine, they were the metal clip variety that squeezes open with a pair of ordinary pliers. The inner larger ones were not. I had to destroy them to get the clamp off. I replaced with hose clamp screw type, with the screw pointed down.
Nice to know! Any size recommendation on that inner one?

Thanks for the advice!