PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Make up air filter?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Make up air filter?

Just got my '08 cruiser and in the manuel it says to inspect the make up air filter every 15,000 miles. Called 2 differnet dealers and they don't have a clue. Any idea what the hell they are taking about in the manuel?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Make up air filter?

Is that the cabin air filter your talking about? There is a thread here on how to change it thats what your talking about..
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:59 pm
Young Cruiser

That's what I need to know. It specifically says "make-up air filter". I have no idea.....
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The cabin filter is the only other filter (not counting the fuel filter) so that probably IS what they are talking about. Only problem is, I don't think ANY cruiser actually came with the cabin/make-up filter installed, unless they started to in the later years. (I doubt it), so why would they tell you to clean it every 15K miles. ???

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:49 pm
Banned

The "make-up" filter is the small filter in the bottom of the stock engine air filter box underneath the stock air filter cartridge. It's connected to the box by the hose from the valve cover.

Jerry
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Jerry. You don't happen to know the reason they gave it such a stupid name? I guess it only comes with the turbo engine also becuase I don't remember ever seeing it and my owners manual doesn't say anything about cleaning it ever.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 03:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
The "make-up" filter is the small filter in the bottom of the stock engine air filter box underneath the stock air filter cartridge. It's connected to the box by the hose from the valve cover.

Jerry
Now there is something I can sink my teeth into! Thanks I will look for it tonight. But yes dumb terminology.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 05:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The make up filter is only on turbo models, and is recommended to replace it with the air filter.

My best guess is it's designed to filter out the gradual oil accumulation in the air box on turbo models.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 06:46 pm
Banned

My 2004 N/A came with it and it's been on all of the local N/A PT's that I've done engine work on. I'm sitting here looking at my drivers manual in the N/A section and on page 298 (maintenance schedule) it says; "inspect the PCV makeup filter. replace as necesary" -----It calls for it at 15,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles, etc.

It's called the PCV makeup air filter because the " make up air" is the air that enters the intake manifold after going though the PCV valve. This hose and make up filter that we are talking about are simply the other end of that system. By keeping this system intact you are stabilizeing the crankcase pressures as the engineers designed it. It keeps the rings in a "happy state of mind" when you keep the system intact. You are right when you say that is why the oil accumulation is sometimes seen at the bottom of our stock aircleaners for our turbo guys. Oil bearing air that is in the crankcase is pushed that direction when you are under boost. the higher the boost and the "brisker" that you drive the more oil you will see in the air cleaner. You will also see more oil as your rings begin to wear and let more boost into the crankcase. This is also why a lot of the more performance oriented owners put catch cans in the PCV hoses to trap that airborne oil.

Jerry
Old 13 Sep 2010, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
My 2004 N/A came with it and it's been on all of the local N/A PT's that I've done engine work on. I'm sitting here looking at my drivers manual in the N/A section and on page 298 (maintenance schedule) it says; "inspect the PCV makeup filter. replace as necesary" -----It calls for it at 15,000 miles and then again at 30,000 miles, etc.
Jerry,

My 2001 owners manual with all the schedules and including the index only has 282 pages.