Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My Front Valance is DAMAGED :'(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My Front Valance is DAMAGED :'(

Hey, my name is Ben and i own a 2006 PT. It's deep ocean blue i think. anyways, i hit a mean ass pot hole and now my front valance i think it is (the part under the bumper just above ground) on the driver side is creased. It was as if the driver side of the damage was pushed back and the right side remained so the valance is dented in and then looks like a crease in a sheet on a bed. i want to know if it is possible to fix this by myself or the cost to fix a creased valance in a shop. Thanks for your help, i hope to hear back from you guys really soon, as my father enjoys scolding my driving with his vehicle when it is damaged.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 02:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Default Re: My Front Valance is DAMAGED :'(

Hey their canadian,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Could you maybe click off a pic or two so I can get a better view of the damage? Sometimes depending on how severe the damage is you might be able to heat up the plastic and the material has somewhat of a memory and can pop close to back into its original shape, or look better at least but in your case My gut feeling based on what you are describing is unfortunately you may likely need to replace the lower valance.

The Lower front Valance and front bumper is all a one piece unit. You are going to want to use an OEM replacement part which will run you roughly $194.94 and up for the part plus roughly $300.00 to hang, prep, paint and blend. So you are looking at right around $494.94 and up to fix it correctly at a shop.

I would still like to see a couple of pics just to be sure but that is what I would guess is that its beyond repair.

I wish I had better news, and wish you the best of luck on your repais.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 14 Sep 2010, 06:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just a couple corrections. On a 2006, the valance (air dam) is separate from the bumper and is replaced separately. The part number is 05116157AA.

Also, if you were to paint the front bumper there would be no blending involved. You generally don't blend into adjacent sheet metal panels when you're repairing a plastic part such as a bumper cover.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 02:50 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: My Front Valance is DAMAGED :'(

Hey their Ben,

heifetz17 is right and I stand corrected as their is an option for a separate lower Air Dam on the 2006 PT Model though I have not seen it on all models of this year, and am not sure as to which units this part came standard on though I would suspect it would be the upper models other than base which would make the most sense. I unfortunately don't get to repair too many PT's as a whole as the Shop I mess around at mostly builds older Street Rods. I am going to have to look it up later when I have more time so I can familiarize myself with it. No matter what I always try to strive to learn something new everyday and thank you heifetz17 for pointing that one out to me as it simply didn't click to see that their might have been a secondary part which hopefully is the case here.

As for the damage Ben, again without any good pictures of where the damage physically is at, it is always difficult to guess which is what is what which is what both myself, and heifetz17 are pretty much trying to do at this point which is pure speculation on our part without further evidence. Here is a rough pic of a 2006 front end which I have marked the lower Air Dam which is a plastic MID (Molded in Color) part mounted separately to the bottom of the front end marked as 1. The other part which is the one piece front end that I had originally suspected as being where your damage was is indicated as 2. Here is the photo.

If your damage is confined the part indicated by the # 1, then this should be a fairly simple fix with an OEM Replacement Part with a cost of approximately $50.00 shipped to your door. Since this appears to be a non painted item, their should be no more cost involved beyond this point.

If you do not have a separate lower Air Dam, and your damage is to the lower part of your front fascia then again depending on the extent of the damage, my original estimate should be fairly accurate given current costs for parts and labor.

Please let me know what your damage looks like and where exactly it is on your front end, or better yet, once again if you could maybe post a couple of close up pic's of your ride and the damage I should be better able to offer you a more accurate estimate. Its just hard to guess and be accurate.

Now heifetz17,

As for not finding it necessary to blend, with all due respect I assume you are aware of the purpose of blending new paint to old when dealing with full panel replacement. Weather it is a front fascia, fender, door, etc, whenever the repair calls for replacing an entire panel, in most all circumstances you will wind up with a color variance of at least 1-3 shades either lighter or darker in color from the new paint to old due to a number of reasons from paint fading and deterioration over time, exposure to UV Rays and other types of atmospheric conditions to neglect of a vehicles paint, and so on, at which point you can either slightly blend and fade the old color to new into the surrounding areas to trick the eye into visually not being able to focus where the difference in color is thus giving the appearance of having done the job professionally and correctly, or you can choose not to blend it at which point it has been my experience professionally anyway that 9 times out of 10 I could tell without a doubt where the color from the repaired panel to the surrounding panels did not match indicating to me that the shop was looking for a cheap and easy way out and did a poor job which I would seriously complain about big time.

Now maybe you are a better painter than me, but I know from my experience having shot many high end, high dollar street rods, and specialty paint work for well over 18 years, that I am still to this day not anywhere near good enough to get a 100% perfect dead on color match to the point where I didn't feel I needed to bother blending paint especially when dealing with a more vibrant color like either Marine or Electric Blue which contains Pearl in both hues as well as the fact that you would be trying to match colors using the newer Water Borne Paint System to perfectly match the OEM Oil Base. At least from my experience, I know for sure I might out of sheer luck get a close enough match once in a while by chance if I am lucky that won't be as noticeable, but given the different paint systems, trying to match up a darker pearl metallic, and on top of that do it constantly enough that I didn't need to bother with blending.

Like I say, if you feel that confident in your ability, or that of your painter that you can get a dead on perfect color match every time especially no matter what type of paint or finish, then my hats off to you for sure cause I know I can't, nor can I think of any other painters who can say so for sure with no question. It also makes little difference to me weather it is a Urethane Bumper or a sheet metal fender, door, or anything else, if I take a job on, I always strive to do the job to the very best of my ability, and do it right the first time, and as a direct result I have never had any complaints or returned work ever on any of the builds I have been involved in. I always try to live by the old saying "if a job is worth doing, its worth doing right"!

That's just my two cents anyway for what its worth.

Perhaps wwpptc "Jerry" might chime in her shortly and offer his advice as well.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 15 Sep 2010 at 03:07 am.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 03:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Candy, just curious here. Is blending common practice where you are when replacing a part such as a bumper?

Over here none of the body shops locally will blend. This is because you'll never achieve 100% color match from a plastic bumper to a metal fender. Whether the car is brand new or 10 years old, we never blend into the fenders when repairing or replacing bumpers.

Even brand new Chargers and Calibers that we get in off the transport trucks don't have a perfect paint match. The bumpers are always ever so slightly darker than the sheet metal.

Perhaps this is a difference of markets? I'm interested to hear your take on this.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 05:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: My Front Valance is DAMAGED :'(

Hey their heifetz17,

I do blend no matter what but then again I shoot for a high end Rod Shop so the clients are paying top dollar for the work, and expect it to be done accordingly so if you can visibly see any problems, odds are the Customer will too, and even if they didn't, I would know which I have an extremely hard time letting something go out like that. That's why I always blend, always were a shoot suit, and always spend the time to get everything as close to perfect as I possibly can and so on. I always try to treat a Customers car as if it were my own which yes often means spending some extra time above what I am getting in return but I won't leave it till I am 100% happy with the finished product. I also will only work with certain other people doing the body so that I know without a doubt that the lines are as clean and straight as they can be before I will roll it into the booth, and even then I will often double check it so I can get a smooth as glass finish. If their is any question, I will send it back. Of course their is always going to be color variances no matter how close you can get it, even via camera and computer. Basically the whole idea with blending is to offset this and rather trick the eye into not seeing the color variations by covering a broader surface area and avoiding just painting up to the edge of a body line. By going beyond the line and smoothing the paint into the existing color it is next to impossible to see the difference in color and therefore where the repairs were made.

If you don't blend then the eye will big time pick up on the tell tale mis-match of color most of the time, however with just a minimal amount more effort in this case with a front bumper and fascia, to blend up into the front of the fenders you could easily take away that sharp edge and the line disappears from view. Then you can't tell where the repair was made, and everyone is happy. It doesn't even take much of any more in material, but rather just a bit of extra time spent on the prep work to achieve a much more professional result. I mean your talking like 30 minutes extra worth of time. Not a huge deal, though I also still see time and time again these high volume production body shops cranking out cars as fast as they can go with mis-matched panels, poor gaps, you name it all the time which really kinda irks me to no end. I mean I understand the need to get cars in and out in a timely manner but where do you draw the line on quality control? Anyways, enough of my little rant.

Back when I had my shop in San Diego from 1993 - 2001, I did a ton of high volume production Detailing and prep on New Vehicle PDI's for 14 of the larger Dealerships, and Auto Groups in the area. We developed and implemented a system where we would take delivery of all shipments which at that time usually consisted of 2 - 3 full trucks per Dealer per week, store them so that the Lots didn't get all cluttered with inventory in the back, and process them according to Dealer request. We did a 20 point new Vehicle clean and prep as well as used vehicle reconditioning and Lot Prep, Lease Returns, Detailing Service Contracts, Special Tent Events, handled Dealer Special Packages where as if a Dealer wanted a promo car for a new model or something with custom wheels, tint, custom graphics or paint, custom suede or leather interior, or audio/video/nav systems, I handled it. I also did a program in conjunction with both Meguiar's, and Auto Magic to offer a training program to properly train Lot Porters and Dealer Detail Techs to properly prep vehicles for the Lot, Showroom, and Customer Delivery as well as handled all Chemical Sales for both the Detailing Department, and Automated Car Washes located on site and handled all equipment and maintenance as well. I did this for everyone from multiple Honda, Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford, Volkswagen, and Toyota Stores, as well as Mercedes benz, Hummer, Jaguar, Porsche, One custom Muscle Car Restoration Company who actually had a lot full of nothing but 20 - 30 fully restored Muscle Cars on hand at any given time or sale where they used to be located out in La Jolla CA, and finally three Automotive Investment Groups who handled nothing but high end and exotic imports and specialty automobiles of which both used to be in downtown San Diego. I assume they are all still there and well but haven't seen anyone in a long time now. This is actually why I went and got my degree's in paint and body, interior, and so on as well as where I developed most of my skill set for dealing with customizing and restoration work, as well as having had to develop a good working knowledge of day to day operations at Dealerships all over the area as well as learn to develop a good working relationship with many very difficult GSM's (General Sales Manager) which I am sure you probably know all too well about once in a while. It used to seem that at many of the regular Dealerships like Chrysler, or Honda, or Toyota, they would seem to change out GSM's every couple of months or so. They never really went anywhere other than to kinda make their little mark on the world and then move to the next Dealer within the Group, but man they moved all the time it seemed. I miss it but am glad I sold out when I things were on the up as it was pretty much controlled chaos all the time and it just gets to you after a while!

Now I do just custom paint for both a Street Rod Shop, and some restoration as related to overall design, paint, interior, and project management work for an old Customer / Collector who buys restores, and and sells old antique Motorcars at auction as well as I still do a few select Details here and there for a few people once in a while. Much less stress big time, and I often work at a much slower pace so I can work around a lot of my medical things especially associated with my bad back, and make extra sure I do more precision quality workmanship without having to rush through it and make a mess out of it. This way I can enjoy what I am doing, do it well, and be proud of what I have accomplished when its all said and done which is more important to me than anything these days! To me, even though my medical problems kinda slow me down a bit from what I used to be able to do, I feel like the luckiest Guy in the world to still have the opportunity whenever I can and feel up to it, to get to go do what I love to do! I have always had a huge passion for designing and building cool custom cars, from drawing out custom cars, paint schemes, and interiors, to implementing my dreams and ideas from sketch book to reality, its deep in my blood and it will be a big part of me forever! I just can't help it, its a part of me!

As for your Bumper problem with non matching color from the urethane bumper parts being darker than body color, I was trying to think back, and I believe I only ran into a problem a couple of times of which one was isolated to just a specific shipment where after we filed a complaint with the Regional District MFG Rep for Honda Corporate got involved and found that the Assembly Plant had painted the bumpers using an off batch of paint at which point the Manufacturer paid us to re-shoot the Bumpers on I believe it was 26 Honda Accords in total.

The only other time I have seen any real major problems which to this day I am not sure what caused it, or why it happened, but one of my Investment Groups had imported 15 various model new Ferrari's which all came in from the Port all still covered in the plastic body wraps and so on just as they should be, but the paint was all jacked up all over, even under where the protective film was. The paint was all marred, and imperfections throughout which took extensive work to correct which was a real pain, and was very expensive due to the time involved but still cheaper than refinishing as re-shooting a Ferrari F40 isn't cheap for sure! Again the Ferrari was contacted and made aware of this problem and they worked it out to compensate us for the correction work prior to delivery but man what a pain! I had nightmares in red for months after that! Come to find out later their had been several more orders from Ferrari that had come in the same way, and to this day their has never been an official explanation on it.

Anyways, getting back on track, if you are having a lot of repeated problems with big color variations on your new PDI's, I would bring it up to your Manager as its not right. If a Customer comes up to buy a new car from your Dealership and the paint doesn't match from one panel to another and asks about it, what do your staff tell them if they should ever ask? I can see where that one might get a bit interesting for sure!

Anyways, sorry for the long post here, and sorry to Ben for kinda temporarily hijacking your thread for a moment. I hope that might have better clarified things, and I am always more than open to any and all questions no matter what. I always love to talk shop anytime.

Ben, I am still hoping you may post a pic or two so we can better see your damage and hopefully give you a better idea of what needs to be fixed, and the cost involved. Please let me know if their is anything more i can do to help you figure out your situation, and I would be more than happy to offer whatever advice I can anytime.

Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Haha Dam you guys reply fast thanks for your help so far, i'll take a couple pictures. it's located on the lower half of 2, the part that is painted. as well, the part 1 was broken. so i'm thinking i'm in some heat here. i'll take a few pics asap, until they are up, keep on peeking in this thread to see if i got them. thanks guys, you are making a huge "dent" in my problem :P so to speak...

Last edited by canadian; 15 Sep 2010 at 09:23 pm.