Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT in the garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2010, 05:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default New PT in the garage

New to the forum. Just picked up a 2009 Touring after losing our wonderful little 02 Limited in a wreck last month. Seems to be a lot of changes since 02 and we are still getting used to it. Not sure it's built as well as the 02 but time will tell I suppose. Managed to get most of the accessories off the 02 before the insurance company took it. Any 09 owners out there with any info on this model? Doesn't appear to be any recalls out there. Our 02 had a 5 speed and the 09 is an automatic. One thing I have found is the gas mileage on the 09 is not good at all compared to the 02. Some of this is due to the automatic but not that much. I added some injector cleaner to the current tank full to see if that will help. Would a K&N filter help? Had one in the 02.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PT in the garage

You say you just picked it up, so is it new or used and how many miles. If it is NEW then injector cleaner won't do anything because everything should be clean as can be. A freer flowing filter might help but not that much. Again, if it's new, engine have to be broken in. That came up quite a bit back in the early days of the PT, once you had some miles on the odometer it seemed to run better and the gas mileage improrved.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Sep 2010 at 05:11 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 06:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's used had 28K miles on it when we bought it. I assumed since it was a rental it probably was driven locally and mostly stop and go so some injector cleaner might help. We plan to run it down to OKC on Sunday and see how it does running at 75 or 80 mph. The fabric seat material is interesting stuff but I really liked the leather seats in the 02. I'm currently looking at some chrome accessories for the interior and a set of chrome spears for the doors. It's a silver steel metallic paint and I think the chrome spears would look good. Came with the 9 spoke painted alloy wheels which look nice. My 02 had chrome wheels but after 8 years the chrome was peeling around the wheel centers. Anyway it's a work in progress. Accessories are a lot more expensive now days than they were in early 02 so I'll buy goodies as time and money allow.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 07:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

With people that have new cars, i always suggest replacing the air intake right away. Simply because if you spend upwards of 200$ on it, and it saves 2-4 mpg, youll be sure to make money on it, whereas an older car might not make the money back that you put into it.
A K&N filter will help slightly even if it is new, but probably not enough to notice it. An air intake however will probably do the same as a K&N + 10% or so.
Bad gas milage is probably 80% due to deterioration of parts, rather than the car itself, so make sure to do a good tune-up with platinum spark plugs and new plug wires soon, and often, and youll get maximum mpg and life.
CREWZIN is of course right on the injector cleaner, but more important than filters and plugs and all of this is how you drive. It always takes more gas when taking off from a stop , than just highway driving because you have to overcome inertia, so thats where you can really save gas. Roll out of a stop before you slowly accelerate and youll notice a mpg difference
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 07:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

It has around 28500 miles on it now so plugs and wires should still be at max performance. My wife is the primary driver and puts may 8 to 10 miles a day back and forth to her office so I'm not surprised the mileage isn't very good. We're going to run it down the turnpike this weekend and see how it does at turnpike speed. My old 02 with the 5 speed did better but my wife, who insisted on the 5 speed 8 years ago, said she wanted an automatic. I'm 65 years old and learned to drive in a 1954 chevy 3 on a tree and have had standards all my life so it's taking some time to adjust to the auto.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The stock plug wires are pretty terrible, so changing them at any milage couldn't hurt, but not always immediately justified. But with the plugs they should def be good for a while, but again, could only help to replace them, but wont see immediate results.
Im not too big of a fan of the auto trans on the car, doesn't seem to be geared too well, so i would imagine the 5 speed would be a very fun car
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 10:33 am
Young Cruiser

Hi Merlin,

I have an 08 Tour Ed with automatic. I am getting 25.4 highway per the computer, but not sure how accurate that is. I wanted to ask you what radio you have in your car and if you are using Sirius/Xm, does it sound weird?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 16 Sep 2010, 04:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

We have the satellite radio but didn't sign up for the service. Just can't justify paying for something I can get free. I have a couple of oldie stations in the area I like so that's good enough for us.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Go with a cold air filter kit. More power, lower rpms, better gas mileage.
Also have a Vortec Cyclone in both.

My '04 with 3.5" cold air filter:

Same car with 9.25" AEM.

Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExport View Post
Go with a cold air filter kit. More power, lower rpms, better gas mileage.
Also have a Vortec Cyclone in both.

Export, your telling him to go with a cold air kit and both the pictures are the furthest thing from that. I have the same filter (Intimadator) and believe me, it's for looks not drawing in the cold air. Way to much engine heat in the bay to try and claim that's anything near a cold air intake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.