PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2nd key/remote

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2010, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2nd key/remote

I have a complaint and it's my own fault for not asking. We recently bought a used 2009 PT from a local Chryler dealer. It was the 4th car we have purchased from him since 1998. Anyway when we came to pick up the car they only gave me one key/remote. When I asked for the 2nd key they siad sorry I was only getting one and I would have to pay $250 for another. Needless to say I wasn't happy. I purchased two other used cars from this dealer in the past and was given two sets of keys so I assumed I would get two with the cruiser. I found a site on the intenet to purchase a key for $110and would have to pay the dealer $50 to program it. I called the parts manager and he agreed to sell me the key at cost so ultimately it cost me $160 for the 2nd key. I'm still mad. It's a major dealer ripoff!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 08:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2nd key/remote

Yikes, I bought my 2nd key and remote off ebay, it's wasn't much more than 30 dollars for both (if that) the Chrysler dealer (I did not buy my car there) did cut my key and did the computer 'stuff' for another 30. I did program the remote myself. My car is an 04 and I'm sure it's different but that's what I paid.
Your dealer should have thrown that second key in for free or cost if they were a Dodge or Chrysler dealership

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintzgirl View Post
Yikes, I bought my 2nd key and remote off ebay, it's wasn't much more than 30 dollars for both (if that) the Chrysler dealer (I did not buy my car there) did cut my key and did the computer 'stuff' for another 30. I did program the remote myself. My car is an 04 and I'm sure it's different but that's what I paid.
Your dealer should have thrown that second key in for free or cost if they were a Dodge or Chrysler dealership
06 and up the "key" is also the remote and they charge you up the wazoo for the dang things. Even on ebay they go for $80.00 or more.

I agree it is outrageous for the Stealer to make you pay for a second key!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

yes its different went through the same thing with our 06'. 06' and up has canbus and has the remote molded on the key itself. You can not program these, only a dealer OR locksmith with proper equipment. There is also a 4 digit pin (dealers usually get this for you included in price, locksmiths usually charge extra to retrive the pin code if you dont have it)

The 05' back have seperate remotes but the keys still have transponders. These you can program yourself IF you have 2 working keys.

The prices you quoted are about what i was quoted too. I bought a blank case and key (not cut and no electronics in it) had the key cut at wal-mart to fit. Then i bought a used key and took out the electronics out of it and put in the new case. Everyone said you cannot re-program a key that was used in a different car as it locks to that car only........

So then i took it to carmax where the 06' was bought. They have a contract with a national locksmith and he quoted $170 for a new one. After i explained that if you used the remote to lock the car then used the second key they give us (non remote but still a grey transponder key) the alarm would go off UNTIL you stuck the key in the ignition switch, they paid the $170 fee he charged for a brand new programmed key.

Funny thing though. The new case and cut key WITH used electronics from a DIFFERENT car was secerectly marked by me was the key that he used!

IF i had to pay for it i would have requested my old key that he said you couldnt program to a different car AND the new one he made but since i got the lot to pay i left without making a big deal out of it. Locksmiths and dealers continue to tell me it couldnt be the same key but i have doubts.

If anyone can confirm this 100%, you can do the same as i did i get a blank key and empty case ($10) a used key ($6) and programmed ($40) for under $60.....but as i said i was told repeatedly you cannot re-program it if it has allready been done but i think you can.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 01:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Another suggestion would be to buy an aftermaket keyless entry.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not the dealer's fault. Sometimes people only have one key when they trade a vehicle in, and quite often ex rentals only have one key as well. We don't have spare keys for all our used vehicles either.

Now on to the price. I'd find a new dealer. We only charge $120-$130 for the keys. And that's retail price. We also program them free if you buy them here. Dealer cost on these keys is NOT $160. They're still trying to get money off you.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 04:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think I have done my last business with this dealer. Customer loyalty doesn't seem to mean much to them. They charged me $110 for the key and another $50 to program it. I tried to get them to do it for free but no luck. Apparently buying 4 vehicles from them gets you nothing. They used to offer $9.95 life time oil changes but in January life ended and the cost went to $29.95 provided you waited at least 6 months between changes. I haven't changed my own oil in many years but may go back to doing it now.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

my case is damaged and want a new case. can i just have the key cut and replace the guts?
boonie2 likes this.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 10:02 pm
Banned

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!!!

stop by the new members area and introduce yourself, post some pics etc

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfman View Post
my case is damaged and want a new case. can i just have the key cut and replace the guts?
Old 05 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfman View Post
Home Depot cut and programed my transponder key for $70