Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil and filter change coming up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2010, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

Default Oil and filter change coming up

Okay, I have an '05 touring edition 2.4L with Turbo convertible that I just got about a month ago, and according to the little sticker on the windshield. I need an oil change in about 100 miles. I've seen several posts on here that strongly urge me to use synthetic oil since I have a turbo, so I plan on that even though the Valvoline site tells me regular oil is recommended. Now, regarding air filter replacement, I've seen posts here talk about K&N filters and intake kits. The intake kits I've seen go for about $200, and replacement filters are about $40, so what I want to know is do I really need to upgrade to the intake kit? I'm not really feeling the need for more horsepower. Does the intake kit really make that much of a difference?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 01:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Oil and filter change coming up

There are several different answers to your questions, so I'll attempt to hit most of them. First, it'd be helpful to know what oil change interval (OCI) you're using. Most manufacturers set their OCI assuming you're using basic dino oil. Jiffy Lube and the like has done a darn good job of programming our society to believe that if you don't change your oil ever 3000 mile your engine will fall out. Not true and a huge waste of money. I recommend looking at your owners manual to see what the recommended oil change interval is. The biggest difference between synthetic oil and conventional oil is how long they retain their viscosity and ability to protect your engine. Synthetic will typically last longer as it doesn't rely on what is called viscosity modifiers. I highly recommend reading up on this at www.bobistheoilguy.com. That site is quite the education. I run synthetic oil in all my cars and run the recommended 7500 miles between oil changes. If you change your oil every 3000 miles or so, just about any oil would work because you have barely begun to break down the viscosity modifiers or additives. Use a quality oil filter and you should be good to go. As to the air intake, here is a can of worms with strong arguments on both sides of it. Yes, a less restrictive air filter can allow your turbocharged engine to suck in more air and produce more power. You also typically get a better growling sound from the assembly because of the length and diameter of the intake pipe. That being said, when looking at dynomometer data I've seen that these power gains are modest, and only come in the higher rpm range. Unless you're stomping on the gas and not allowing the car to shift till after 5000 rpm, you probably won't get anything more than a nice growl from your $200 intake system. The other side of the argument is the engine protection side. Typically, less restrictive filters allow more particles of dust and such into your engine, which does cause additional engine wear, and ultimately shows up in your oil and oil filter. Many will argue that they use K&N, BMC, etc. filters for years and their engines work just fine. I'm one of them. My Volvo S40 T5 has a drop-in K&N filter installed for the last 5 years. I did notice a slight increase in gas mileage with that filter, but have just ordered a quality paper filter from WIX (can buy on Amazon). To me, the possibility of additional engine wear just isn't worth it especially because I plan on having these cars for a long time. The only other reason I bought a K&N filter was cost. A new air filter for my Volvo cost $50 for the stinkin' Fram filter, and the same for the K&N. The purchase of the recharge kit was inexpensive and as I clean my filter every 3750 miles has saved me a ton of money. Ultimately, the filter you run and oil you use, how often you change these things are very personal decisions that require a fair amount of research and understanding. Good luck with it all!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 01:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not a proponent of modifying the stock intake beyond a drop-in K&N (simply because you no longer need to change the thing every few oil change) You'll never change it again, only clean it - and to further assist air getting in from the foglight location/ seal up the engine bay from the air.

If you take the airbox out and look into where the air is pulled from you will see daylight from the area near the foglights. This means that the coolest possible air comes from that location. Anything you can do to keep hot engine bay air from that path will keep the intake air cooler. Cooler intake air is more dense, and allows the engine to produce top power. I don't suggest opening up the fender - I made a few holes there and there was no need at all, just assists with water getting into the intake box.

As for power gains - not too much of a difference. Even with a full-blown "cold-air" "open-cone" type filter setup, It just doesn't seem worth it to me. Like I said I only went with a drop-in cuz I don't see anything inhibiting about the intake. Have a look at the early 2000's 4.6L mustang intake. THAT thing is restrictive.

As far as oil goes - Synthetic all the way. Synth oil prevents engine wear much better than dino oil. It also survives the heat of the turbo much better. I use it in all of my cars, and extend the oil change intervals out such that the cost is about the same as a dino change. That is 7500 mile intervals. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and the Mobil1 filter is about $35 depending on sales, while the same in dino costs about $12. $12 * 2.5 = $30 It's simple insurance.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I use Mobile1 5W-30 and Mobile1 filter in all my vehicles, normally each 7500 miles or so. Several places put it on sale for $30 (5-quarts and a filter); I stock up when they do. I find the Cruiser is the easiest to change. You can also find it by the gallon at Walmart. I only use synthetic in all my engines.

I did install a modified air-intake with a cleanable filter. Did it make a difference? Not really. It sounds different and I don't have to replace the filter, only clean it.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 03:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I think synth is great stuff, but I CANT let my car go anything over 3000 without an oil change. In fact with doing 90% in town driving and most of it short I change at rouhgly 2000. Hence putting $70 worth of oil in my car every 2000 is a no go for me. I prefer $20 on name brand (thats a whole ball of wax too ) every 2000. I honeslty dont think you can go wrong with Synth, but dont think regualr oil is a problem either if changed regualr enough. I own and have drove several cars with 200,000 on them no oil burning problems and no major engine problems (in fact none, I think some of that is luck too). My caddie had a engine oil life monitor that many people swear by. In summer it sometimes gets too 7-8000 miles before it says to change it. In winter its generally 4000 or so.. suposedly it factors in engine temp, outside temp and distance.. BUT I HATE it.. i wanna change every 3000 no matter what.

I think its sorta like the K&N air filter thing... on a scientific level its better (for horsepower and mileage), but will you ever see the difference? hard to tell.. as I say you cant go wrong useing name brand Sythic.. so if money allows, why not?

As for the K&N, love the sound and have used them, but as stated by BOB i see so many that are not maintained I wouldnt recomend them. And removeing a Air box (again as stated by BOB) is not a good thing in MOST cases as the air filter, even with it by the cool air source will pull the easiest air it can (along with the cooler air too) which will be the hotter under hood air. The stock airbox only lets it pull cool air from front of car. I thouhgt I read spomeplace these engines can only pull 275CFM or so anyways, and it appears the stock airbox is about the same size as larger v6 cars.. dont think breathing is a problem with um.

allthis is so much in the teritory of OPINION its really hard to not ruffle feathers.. you will be good with any of the suggestions I'm sure.

*the above is only opinion and not fact.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Clok1966, have you considered a used oil analysis? Blackstone laboratories is an excellent place to have it done. For $25 you get a kit to send your latest oil change to them and supply information such as how many miles you have on the oil and the kind you're using. They have some excellent tests that look at the chemical and metallurgical breakdown of what's left in your oil and can determine how much additive is left in it. Based on those factors, they can make a very accurate recommendation for how long your oil in your engine will adequately protect in your driving conditions. You might be throwing a ton of money in your oil pan and a $25 test could give you peace of mind on a longer OCI. Blackstone Labs
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

In turbos the biggest gain with synthetic oil is it wont cook in the turbo like regular oil will. This makes the turbo last much longer as the oil can handle high heat better before breaking down.

Im researching into O'reilly's synthetic oil. It cheap and made by omni and the base oils from companies like Exxon/Mobil and Shell. If its really the same, its the cheapest full syn oil you can get anywhere.

http://www.oreillylubetech.com/PDS/S...Multigrade.pdf
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you all for your sage advise. I am really digging the friendliness of this forum.

I honestly don't know when the last oil change was done; all I know is that the sticker the oil change guys put on the windshield says this mileage I'm at now is the time for the next change. I figure, with the car being new to me, now is as good a time as any. And since I don't know if it has conventional oil or synth in it, and I'm wanting to avoid cooking the turbo, a change now is better than later. I'll keep in mind that I can go longer before changes with the synth and I figure the price increase will even out over time.

And after learning about K&N filters (and particularly that they have to be specially cleaned, etc.), and since I don't really care if the engine sounds better or the horsepower goes up, I think I'll go with a conventional air filter and just keep an eye on it and change it out regularly.

Now, what about transmission fluid? When do you recommend getting that changed?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well that is another can of worms I did mine at like 30,000 and at 50,000 and at 100,000 dropped the pan spilled fluid ever ware changed the filter put it back put in ATF+4

Some say you have to reteach your tranny????
some say you never get all the old fluid out---you don't
some like the places with the machine it getts is all out but a lot do not change the filter which I think needs changed

the only 100% thing is the ATF+4 that is what you need nothing else will work it is like 5 quarts and the filter is like $25

to me I know i don't get it all out but I get over half and a fresh filter to me that is way better than nothing
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

I ran a Subaru 4-door sedan I owned on straight Castrol 5w30w. It got 237,000 miles on it before the engine started to ping in the summer. So ... either Subaru makes main bearings and valves better than anyone--or else, plain old Castrol oil is simply good enough.

By the way, that was a few years back (when I sold the car). The guy who bought it, drove it for two more years before giving the car to a nephew--who is still driving it.

I DID change the oil around every 3000 miles, though ....

Tim