PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ignition switch starting problems

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2010, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ignition switch starting problems

So my car would not start. all other electrical ok. connected positive directly to starter and was able to start and run car that way for a few days while i tried to eliminate the possible issues. fuses, relays wiring ok. when i disconnected the starter switch from steering column , small piece of metal half an inch long wide as a toothpick fell of. There is a shaft that links the key cylinder to the ignition switch. with broken piece, switch would still turn but not all the way to crank position. tried to glue piece back on, but it broke again. Could not find the part anywhere because it was part of the steering column. $1300. found steering column in junk yard $175 and took part off that.

watch out for springs when you unscrew the bottom out of the steering column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition switch link1.jpg (92.4 KB, 233 views)
coastlight likes this.

Last edited by calcuaz; 16 Sep 2010 at 08:50 pm.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ignition switch starting problems

Good fix. Thanks for the pictures.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg under view.jpg (82.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg broken part.jpg (89.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg assembly.jpg (103.9 KB, 170 views)
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: ignition switch starting problems

Man I just had the same problem, exactly as it happened to you.The broken pieces fell into my hand. With all the problems I have had with this car, bad control arm bushings, faulty door latches, messed up door locks, and now this. When in the hell will Chrysler admit this car is a lemon.Complete hunk of garbage.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If one of you fine gents who has experienced this would document the verbage behind this repair, I can take cal's photos and pump out a nice tutorial on this in both html for forms and in PDF format. If you're interested, PM or email me so we can go over it. I like to get these down in tutorial format, and sure Crewzin would like me to store it on his site too.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 01:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdt94 View Post
Man I just had the same problem, exactly as it happened to you.The broken pieces fell into my hand. With all the problems I have had with this car, bad control arm bushings, faulty door latches, messed up door locks, and now this. When in the hell will Chrysler admit this car is a lemon.Complete hunk of garbage.
They'd all have to go back with 70 years of apologies!!!!!!!

Saw a CRX in the JY the other day, interior plastic pulled away-
THE FRICKEN' FUEL FILLER TUBE RAN THRU THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT!!!

No domestic company would ever do anything that stupid! So a few bushings, a little latch work-Much better than getting roasted.

I still can't believe they did that.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

New user here!

We have an early model pt cruiser - think 2001/2002 (uk/manual spec)

We have had intermittent problems with our ignition - put the key in and wont turn through to engaging starter motor - have put key in and out numerous times, jiggling it around to get the barrel to turn through.

Last weekend parked car on drive with steerling lock on - this totally killed it. Spent best part of 3 hours putting key in out and jiggling round. Steering lock remained engaged and no movement at all.

This weekend - having got a new ignition barrel and the tamper proof torx bits (ffs why make it do difficult chrysler!) etc, take of steering column shroud, take off indicators/wipers module, remove various other insignificant parts.

Upon inspecting the ignition barrel - there is a small bit that stick down through the outer casing - looking at my replacement barrel this is the part which extend/retracts when the key is turned through its cycle.

I then removed the silver casing next to this (part also refreenced above which contains the steering lock mechanism) anyhow a spring also came out, but no metal. This freed up the steering lock.

Tried the in/out/jiggle with they key but to no avail.

Now im stumped as to how i can retract the ignition barrel without being able to move the key into "go" and then pushing in the small bit that sticks through the outer casing; to take out the barrel?

Sorry if this is confusing will post with pics later.

Does this mean i will have to take the steering wheel off and slide the whole igitiona barrel/mechanism/switch off and take it to pieces?

cheers

dave
Old 16 Jan 2011, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Add a couple of more issues to my earlier note. The passengers side rear door will not shut, and the radio does not work after new battery installation. As for the broken piece in the steering column, the guy at the dealership said the entire steering column would have to be replaced.In the meantime I'm using a screwdriver to start my car.

Last edited by tbirdt94; 16 Jan 2011 at 11:23 am.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 05:43 pm
Young Cruiser

The one on our 2003 PT just broke today !
Gonna have to drive it like it is until I can find the part at a junkyard , cause I darn sure aint paying the stealership $1300 .
2 - image dyamic ID 8's
1.8 cubes tuned 30hz
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdt94 View Post
Add a couple of more issues to my earlier note. The passengers side rear door will not shut, and the radio does not work after new battery installation. As for the broken piece in the steering column, the guy at the dealership said the entire steering column would have to be replaced.In the meantime I'm using a screwdriver to start my car.
wow that really sucks. kinda reminds of like Gone in 60 Seconds, the original with H.B. Halicki. but i guess you just got one of the ones that wasnt put together right. sux that you had to get the lemon PT, but all things can be fixed.