Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light then limp mode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine light then limp mode

Wife was driving at 75 mph and suddenly the car felt to her like it was stalling and the check engine light started flashing. She made it to the shoulder and the car never stalled. The check engine light continue to flash. She shut off the car and waited for me.

I did the key dance and got three codes: P0300, P0315, and P0339.

I disconnected the negative on the battery for 30 seconds to clear the codes. The car started and ran fine. I drove it home about 15 miles without a hint of a problem.

I recently changed the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, and put in a new camshaft position sensor. Any ideas what happened?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light then limp mode

Both 315 and 339 refer to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. First, are you sure you changed the Camshaft sensor? If yes, did you use a Chrysler part? If no, PT Cruiser don't like aftermarket (auto store) electrical parts. It may cost more but worth it in the end.

So, If you did change the CAMSHAFT Sensor, looks like it's time to change the CRANKSHAFT sensor. Sorry, but you may still have a problem with the CAMSHAFT sensor if it's aftrermarket.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

I definitely changed the camshaft psotion sensor with a dealer part. I guess I will go buy the camshaft sensor and replace that one too. Should I wait until it throw the codes again or just replace it now.? The car continues to run fine since I cleared the codes. Thanks for the input.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, I'd wait to see what happens and see if the new codes (if any) still point to the Crankshaft sensor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 11:44 am
Regular Cruiser

I just had the crank sensor changed on my '05. I had a shop do it, cost $73 for entire job parts & all. It's worth it to me as the only way I could even see it was with a mirror. It didn't take the mechanic 15 minutes to change it. I had a 0339 code too and this seems to have fixed it so far (X)...
Old 20 Sep 2010, 02:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I disagree 100% NEVER wait until something fails and potentially leaves you stranded to fix it. You already had a flashing check engine light, which basically renders the car non-driveable and it threw a code for a crankshaft sensor.

Just buy a new sensor and replace it. Next time the car could stall and not start, and leave your wife miles from home and nothing she can do.

Disconnecting the battery and clearing the codes doesn't magically make the problem go away, so take care of it now before it comes back.