PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Outside air temp sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2010, 11:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Outside air temp sensor

We recently bought a used 09 Touring and I have a question regarding the outside air temp sensor. It seems to take a very long time to register the true OAT. My 02 would take a couple of miles to register but it was always consistent. The dealer replaced the sensor but it still seems erratic. The dealer pulled up a tech bulletin which said in effect that the car needs to be driven for up to 5 minutes at a sustained speed of over 40 mph. Customers with short commutes may not get a correct reading before shutting of the engine, or the engine doesn't remain off for more than 4 hours and 15 minutes. They state this was to eliminate "wildly fluctuating readings" but that it may lead to cutomer confusion. My question is does anyone else with an 09 have this same issue? Is this another cost cutting measure putting a crappy sensor in the car? I have a 1998 Town and Country and it reads the OAT instantly no delay. The PT sensor is supported by the TIPM, CAN, and CNN, which means fully integrated into the computer. My wife does have a short commute and doesn't always get above 40 mph but it is longer than 5 minutes. Sometimes the temp is correct and sometimes it never resets. I don't like it but it appears we are going to have to live with it.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 01:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Outside air temp sensor

For what it's worth - it's not a true scientific gauge of the outside temperature - relative at best. My other vehicle is always 3 off, the PT's will vary on many things; I've see it at 112 while sitting for along red-light.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just stick my finger outside, and if it's hot ... it's hot.

Tim
Old 19 Sep 2010, 05:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I picked up a used 09 a few weeks ago and noticed the delay in the reading of the OAT too. I had an 02 that seemed to read much quicker. It seems to be off 3-4 degrees off from the bank thermometers in the area as well.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 02:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The unfortunate but true answer to your question is yes, it's a cheap system that doesn't function very well. My 2010 is the same.

There's nothing the dealer can do. You'll either need to drive to work the long way going at least 45, or accept that you won't have an accurate outside temp display.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
It seems to be off 3-4 degrees off from the bank thermometers in the area as well.
Who's to say the bank thermometers are accurate???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar