Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lousy gas mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Lousy gas mileage

Just took a 220 mile round trip on the turnpike Sunday down to OKC and back. Just me and the dog, he weighs 90 pounds, and kept the cruise @ 70 down and back. Only managed 22.1 mpg which is not good. Our current PT is an 09 Touring automatic with 29K when we bought it last month. It seems to run fine and idles smoothly. I did have the a/c on it was hot and humid all day. The same trip under the same conditions in our 02 5 speed would have been 30 or better mpg. So far we like the 09 but very dissappointed in the mileage. The only thing different on the 02 was a K&N filter with the airbox restrictor removed and the inlet opening enlarged to 3 inches. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a modified air intake but would spend the money for new plugs and wires if they would help. I read conflicting opinions as to how good the stock wires, plugs, and coils are. I don't want to spend a lot of money and see little in the way of improved mileage and a long payback.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:20 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Lousy gas mileage

I live in Okc and have only had my '08 PT a couple of weeks but am getting between 21 and 22 mpg. Only filled up twice but getting 350 miles per tank. I drove the Turner Turpike and was disappointed in the power. The speed limit is 75 mph but everyone goes 80. The PT can't keep up and downshift often trying to maintain speed up the hills. Just too much weight for the engine to overcome. But it's great for around town.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

You are right about the downshifting. It was very noticeable going to OKC from Tulsa, probably the wind from the south. Didn't notice it going back home. The car will run as fast as I want it to go but decided to see how it would do @ 70. You are right about the speeding on the Turner. 75 is the limit but 85-90 is the preferred speed. I don't make enough money to keep the tank full going that fast. The people with the heaviest foot seem to drive the biggest trucks and SUV's. Oil companies luv em tho!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

That's about all you're going to get until winter--when you don't turn on your a/c ... then you might get 24 MPG.

Tim
Old 20 Sep 2010, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Only managed 22.1 mpg which is not good
heh,

I'd LOVE to get 22.1mpg. The PT is a non-aerodynamic underpowered brick (the N/A version) and the turbo isn't much better. Get used to it. I get 19mpg, my wife has a golden foot, she gets 17mpg.

Quote:
The same trip under the same conditions in our 02 5 speed would have been 30 or better mpg.
I don't believe it for a second. I've never broken 25mpg, even when going 55 across alligator alley.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

man i get better MPG in my SRT-4. full bolt-ons and big turbo.

when i was stock i would get like 20-24mpg. after my ported ITM, bigger TB, better FMIC, hard pipes, ported exhaust manifold, ported turbo and full 3" exhaust and a good tune i got over 27-30mpg.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 20 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have said this many times but my 06 non turbo will run me down I 44 at 75mph every day it will get 21 if i do happen to catch a good strong tail wind it might go to 23 that is it the PT is not a MPG hero its cool as heck it takes a mile to turn around the up keep on some items sucks as you all found out 70mph is not in a auto's power range and it will shift and shift and shift

the turbo has more power to move that big boat and usually will get a Little better mpg

It is what it is under powered heavy and COOL Looking if you want awesome millage got a prius and be like every one else
Old 21 Sep 2010, 04:34 am
Cool Cruiser

You guys are silly....

Of course @ 70 mph you are going to get bad Gas millage.At 75 and 80 it will be even lousier.
Increasing your highway cruising speed from 55mph (90km/h) to 75mph (120km/h) can raise fuel consumption as much as 20%. You can improve your gas mileage 10 - 15% by driving at 55mph rather than 65mph (104km/h)
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

yes that is true HOWEVER with the PT you are not going to EVER get great ,millage if you drive it at 25 mph non stop for a thousand miles

We can not change the laws of Physic or what ever laws it is that say a heavy brick shaped underpowered car is NEVER going to get great MPG it is simply not happing I see guys on here who say they get 30 and I believe them but Id say on average it is in the 20 range

NOW in Europe where they have the diesel PT with a good gearbox they are getting in the 40 range so it is possible for the PT to be a good car just not in the USA---its great to ahem these laws that keep os free of them good mileage cars isn't it
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Obviously everyone has their own opinion and their own beliefs about the PT. I owned the 02 for 8 years before it was lost to an accident and it regularly got 26 to 28 mpg on runs to Dallas over the years at speeds of 70+ with and without a/c. When it was new in early 02 on a trip back to Indiana it got over 30 mpg. I had an 11 mile commute to work, about half freeway and half city streets, and it always got 19-21 mpg. This is why I'm disappointed in the 09. Obviously something has happened over the years to cause this drop plus the automatic trans in the 09 doesn't help. Maybe I had an exceptional car I don't know but it was what it was. My wife and I like the car no matter what the mileage and just hope it holds up as well as the 02 did before it's untimely demise. Yes it's aerodynamically challenged but I was intrigued by the style when they first came out an still am. I'm retired and don't do a lot of driving so the mileage isn't as big an issue as it once was.