Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT Help

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to automobiles but hopefully someone can make sense out of this.

My pt is an automatic with about 98k mileage on it. Whenever i start up the vehicle or make a complete stop, the idle seems to be inconsistent, where the rpm meter tends to fluctuate before settling down. Also, when accelerating/decelerating gear shifting seems to be quite stiff and inconsistent as well, as though it's having a difficult time judging when to proceed to the next gear and when it does finally go into gear, the vehicle jerks as though it's relieved. Vehicle jerking is more prominent when down shifting between gears, though.

Anyone else experience this blight? I plan on getting my vehicle serviced soon and would love any advice. Thanks!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT Help

Welcome to the forum.

The service might take care of your problems depending on what you have done. Your have nearly 100K on your PT. Was it bought used? do you know the history? A good complete flush of the tranaxle with the proper ATF+4 fluid could smooth out that tranny. A good cleaning of the throttle body and injectors and have them look at the IAC (Idle Air Controller) to see if it needs cleaning or replacement. Plugs AND wires never hurt anything. When was the last time your were changed?

Lastly, do you know that at 100K a major service in the neighborhood of $1000 is due. The timing belt, water pump, tensioner and drive belts all need changing to keep you PT going strong for the next 100K.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT Help

Yeah, the vehicle was bought with about 33k mileage on it. And the last service I had on the vehicle was at 70k. I appreciate the help, I'll be sure to mention this to the mechanic.