PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Dream Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2010, 09:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 03 Dream Cruiser

Hello,

About a month ago I purchased a Dream Cruiser series 2 #1503. I have been hearing loud tapping noise from underneath the car. Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and they said they could not hear the noise I speak of. Anyhow I can still hear it and so have others. I brought it to a garage and they tried to put it on a drive up lift. They couldn't cause it hit something on the bottom. They tried another lift and it was to low to the ground that it wouldn't fit cause of the side rails. I have had many cars and never ran into this problem. Any ideas as to what I can do to get this thing on a lift?? Any clue as to what the drive up lift hit? Btw I believe the tapping noise may be the dual exhaust.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 22 Sep 2010, 09:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Dream Cruiser

sorry I can't help, but I did want to say "hello" and to tell you that your car looks terrific (better to look good than to feel good ) Hope you get the problem straighten out.

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 23 Sep 2010, 02:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 03 Dream Cruiser

Hey their Jason,

First off, congrats on picking up your new Dream Cruiser 2! They are way cool rides, and yours already looks to have a bunch of aftermarket accessories already added to it.

As for your rattling noise, is it present only when the vehicle is in motion, or all the time, and what does it more or less sound like? Example like a grinding noise like maybe a wheel bearing going out which is really common on older PT's, or maybe something dragging like a loose muffler bracket or something? It looks like you have some clearance to get down and physically look at least under the car. Can you see anything hanging like its not supposed to be?

As far as getting it on a lift, its at stock height and only has the running boards on it so I am a bit surprised your mechanic was having so much trouble getting it up onto the lift, but so be it. A little trick old school Lowriders do when they need to get up on a lift is to stack a couple of 2 x 4 planks of wood in front of the Lift to make less of an angle to climb so it doesn't hit. That should take care of the problem. Kind of like stairs up to where you need to be to make it all work and you should be good to go. It works for mine and mine I guarantee is a bit lower than yours is.

Anywayz, that should about cover it. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 23 Sep 2010, 07:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks Chintzgirl!

Thanks Candyman for the information. The noise happens when I hit bumps in the road. When I do hit a bump it causes something underneath to make a tapping noise 3 times then stops it's kind of loud. I hear it more on the passengers side. Sounds like it may be coming from right under the passengers seat area. I could be wrong about this.

I brought the car down to Sears today. They could not get it on the drive-up lift either. I watched them to see exactly what the problem is. The side rails are scraping the jack. So the only thing I can do is remove the side rails for now. I do want them on the car. So I was thinking of getting the car raised. I was thinking either springs or new shocks. What do you think would work best?

Thanks again!
Jason
Old 24 Sep 2010, 02:27 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their Jason,

I have worked around lowered vehicles for many years now, and honestly I don't know where your taking your ride, or why they seem to be having so much trouble getting under your ride but its just not that complicated to do. Sorry if I seem a bit frustrated as I am sure you are too, but their is little to no excuse for anyone with any common sense to not be able to figure out how to get your ride either on a lift, or at bare minimum up on some jack stands so they can see whats what under your ride and get to the bottom of it.

You should definitely not need to ever remove your running boards from your ride, nor make any attempt to lift your ride any higher than the stock height you are currently at even if they made parts to actually do so.

Even if your PT cannot fit on a two post lift with the swing outs which should still, most tire shops that do 4 wheel alignment as well as many muffler shops have 4 post lifts with full wheel tracks instead of the swing outs so you simply drive up onto the lift without any clearance issues of any kind. Here is a quick pic of a 4 post lift to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. As you can see, no clearance issues there.

Or worst case scenario, like I mentioned above, they can lift the car up with a floor jack and put it on ramps, or axle stands and slide under it on a creeper to see whats what which is easily totally doable in a heartbeat. So their is no excuse for why someone can't check out your ride and tell you whats rattling. If your ride sat as low as mine is sitting in the pic below, I would say yeah it might be a bit of a challenge to get it up on a rack though even there not impossible as its been done, but at stock height, just no way, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

As for the rattle itself, it could be a lot of things but my guess might be a loose muffler bracket, or spare tire holder bolt loose. Either of those will make noise in the rear section with no trouble at all.

If I were you, I would just keep on it and get it figured out. If the people you took it to already were not able to figure out how to get your PT up in the air, I would highly advise to never ever take a vehicle back to them ever again!!!

That's my two cents for what its worth. Please let me know what you come up with and /or if you ever need any more help on anything and I am always right here anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 24 Sep 2010, 02:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Lol, i just park one side of my car up on the curb using the driveway ramp, i guess im just old school
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 10:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks Candyman, okay you changed my mind about removing the side rails or raising the car. I guess I am going to have to keep searching for a place that is willing to help me out.

Is the spare tire located under the car or is it in the trunk area? That may very well be the noise I am hearing now that you mentioned the tire.

Anyway, I would just jack the car up myself and crawl under it but can't since I have back issues.

Where is there a good place to buy car accessories for the cruiser?

Thanks again!
Old 25 Sep 2010, 03:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well if your asking for a good place to buy accessories, i would ask you lol. You seem to already have them ALL. PTEAZER - Your Source For PT Cruiser Parts, PT Cruiser Aftermarket Parts, PT Cruiser Accessories, PT Cruiser Conversions, PT Cruiser Modifications and Panel Conversions is where your going to find the best and the priciest too. The rollpan is a must have. You can run a google search and find lots of little places that will carry accessories. PT Cruiser: Race and Street is a good one, but their pages seem to take ages to load.
Not to offend because i know you didnt do it. But might i recommend selling that grille and light covers. The dream cruiser is already and awesome ride, and doesnt need all those doo-dads.
I really dig the hood and the sun visor though, also that side step is neat. Someone payed a pretty penny to have all that painted im sure.
For some reason that tapping seems to be like its that side step, might want to check and double check how those are secured.
The spare tire does rattle a lot when loose, but im pretty sure would would be able to tell if thats what it was pretty easily
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 09:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Freezinghot said But might i recommend selling that grille

Wow, I love that grille!!! I am so totally jealous of that entire car (except the eyelids and possibly the hood scoops) If you decide to sell the grille I'll be happy to drive to wherever you are to pick it up I'd even leave it that cool orange

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 25 Sep 2010, 12:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their maddyfan171,

I am so glad to hear your going to try to find someone else to finally get your ride up in the air and check it all over for you and especially without having to remove those side boards, or lift the car more than it already is . It just gets me as its not rocket science and shouldn't be that dang complicated.

The Spare Tire is located under the rear section of the car and is fit up behind the rear bumper with one bolt as a holder holding it in place which if it were to come loose could potentially rattle around pretty good. Here is a pic of a dual exhaust with spare tire mounted in stock location for ya.

Their are just a lot of things that might be the culprit and ya just won't know for sure till someone can get it up in the air and see everything. I'm pretty sure it more than likely won't take more than a couple of minutes to find whatever is loose, but till then I am afraid its rattle city my man. Another thing you may want to look through though and see if you might be able to spot something, as well as this might come in handy at some point anyway, here is a large PDF File of the 2052 page 2003 PT Cruiser Service Manual which has everything on your PT in it. Here is the Link.

http://webdev1.net/hosted/documents/...shopmanual.pdf

Now then, as for PT Parts:

PTeazer

First up, Ray Newton over at PTeazer is a way cool, well trusted, long time Member of the PT Community. He mostly makes body parts ranging from front ends, grilles, roll pans, and so on of which his parts are among the best for quality and proper fitment with no problems of any kind in the industry without question. In addition, he is an extremely talented Automotive Designer who has designed and built arguably several of the best, and most recognized PT's in the World! Here is a not so great pic of him standing in front of his PTeaer Roadster pickup which is just one of his insane creations he has made along the way.

Anyways, here is his Website.

PTEAZER - Your Source For PT Cruiser Parts, PT Cruiser Aftermarket Parts, PT Cruiser Accessories, PT Cruiser Conversions, PT Cruiser Modifications and Panel Conversions

ODaddyO

Another new Guy in town who is also selling Aftermarket PT Body Parts is a way cool Guy by the name of Ron Osinga from ODaddyO. Ron makes more retro custom parts as a whole but can make pretty much anything and everything you might be able to dream up. Ron also is a very talented custom car designer having taken his PT at the age of 19 in his parents garage with no real experience in body and paint, nor automotive design, and custom made his PT into a 5 Window Coupe. While his style may not be my own, his workmanship, and attention to detail is some of the best I have ever seen, and his ODADDYO Front Ends are now selling all over the Country! Ron unfortunately as far as I am aware is still working on putting together a good Website, but if you ever would like to get a hold of him I can put you in contact. In the mean time here are a couple pic's of his PT in my driveway after I buffed it out for him.

Race and Street

Next up, for PT Parts and accessories, their are two well known and highly recommended locations for you to check out. PT People back on the East Coast, usually tend to gravitate towards Maggie at Race and Street. She is very cool, extremely nice, and extremely well known and respected within the Community, and offers a huge supply of parts for your PT. Here is her Website:

Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts and Accessories by Race and Street

Cruiser Motor Sport

Now for me, out here towards the West Coast, I like dealing with Mitch over at Cruiser Motor Sport who is actually only about 20 minutes from my house. Anyway, Mitch is also extremely well known an well respected throughout the PT Community, and again has a huge warehouse stuffed full of nothing but PT Parts and accessories! Here is his Website:

Products Menu

The biggest difference between Mitch and Maggie is pretty much just Geographic Location in order to try to cut some down on Shipping if applicable. Otherwise both Mitch and Maggie, as well as Ray are all great People, and if you should call especially Ray, or Mitch, please be sure to tell them Candyman sent ya.

Autotrucktoys

And one last place for ya to check through if you like is Auto Truck Toys which also has a ton of PT Parts and accessories to check out. Here is their Website as well.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Accessories and Parts - AutoTruckToys.com

Those should keep you going as far as pretty much anything and everything for your PT is concerned, at least for now.

As always, if you have any ore questions, I am always around.