PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A little searching leads me to a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2010, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A little searching leads me to a question.

Since I am a Jeep guy, and my wife is a P.T. girl we have both in the driveway. I tend to use the junk yard for quite a few upgrades for my rig. I have seen 1 Cruiser in the junk yard and there was nothing at all left on it.

My wifes cruiser had the hub bearing go bad. I have done a bit of reading here but have not really found anything about other compatible parts. I got my hub and bearings at a parts store but still had to keep searching for something that would match.
I found that the front hub from a Neon has the same part number as the cruiser. So now I know that if I hadn't bought a press from harbor freight I could go and grab the whole piece from a Neon at the yard.

I know that on Jeep forums there are threads with a list of interchangeable parts from other rigs.
Does anyone know what other parts would be interchangeable with the cruiser? Or did I miss a thread on this that is already floating around?
If there is one and I missed it I do apologize but would appreciate the link.

Also if anyone cares here are the links to the Neon, and P.T, Cruiser hub links with part numbers.

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wheel Hub FRONT PAIR at 1AAuto.com.

Dodge Neon Wheel Hub FRONT at 1AAuto.com.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A little searching leads me to a question.

Nope, your didn't miss a thing. We don't have a list like that. Besides that, if it's an electrical part, we tell everyone NOT to get an aftermarket (compatible) part from an auto store as the PT doesn't seem to like non Chrysler parts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will agree with the electrical parts. I just tend to have bad luck working on the cruiser. So pulling something from a yard gives me a dry run of sorts. lol I did find something nice on a Neon forum tho. They tend to use the axles from the early Cruisers because they are stronger.
Thank you for the input CREWZIN. When I am on here searching things I see quite a bit of your posts. You are a very helpful person.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks. Just trying to help out when I can and being retired i have plenty of time to hang out on the computer.

No facebook, no twittering, no blogging and all my cell phone does is receive and make calls.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
. I tend to use the junk yard for quite a few upgrades for my rig. I have seen 1 Cruiser in the junk yard and there was nothing at all left on it.
I have the same experience. About a year and a half ago, I went to my local Pull A Part to get parts for my Buick PA, and asked if they had a PT I could look at. "Nope. People don't get rid of them" (PullAPart doesn't get wrecked cars). I went again this past week (again for the 99 Buick), and asked again. "Nope, people don't get rid of their PTs".

I assume this is a good omen.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You're correct, PTs and Neons have the same hubs and wheel bearings and they're fully interchangeable.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
You're correct, PTs and Neons have the same hubs and wheel bearings and they're fully interchangeable.
Well since I only did the drivers side I think if the other goes I might go grab the whole knuckle and see if it will fit in. It may not last as long as a complete new swap. But with being laid off for the first time in 13 years Ill have to start saving money on cruiser repairs.. lol

Thanks for the input. Hope you all have a good day. I am stalling on an engine swap in my Jeep. I hate it when friends back out on ya.. lol