PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any Recommendations for Rear Shock Absorbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Any Recommendations for Rear Shock Absorbers?

Hey there,

My 2002 PT is feeling pretty rough whenever we drive over tracks and general cracks in the roads. I'm looking for a nice soft feel, but don't want to bounce all over the place. The car has about 59,000 miles on it and I believe that the shocks are original. We've only had this car for 9 months so far.

Have any of you used the Monroe Sensa-Trac Rear Shocks? The price is great, which makes me wonder if they are any good. If not, what would make this ride more comfortable?

Thanks for your help!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Any Recommendations for Rear Shock Absorbers?

Just changing shocks isn't going to improve your ride unless your existing shocks and struts are worn out. The OEM shocks and struts that came with your cruiser are good for many years unless you live in a really bad place with roads that are just plain crap.

The normal PT doesn't ride bad at all. If Candyman were here he's tell you the ride depends on lots of different things like suspension, springs, shocks, struts and even the weight of the car itself.

At lot of us that lowered out PT's went for new Tokico shocks and struts because they were made for lowered cars.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Just changing shocks isn't going to improve your ride unless your existing shocks and struts are worn out. The OEM shocks and struts that came with your cruiser are good for many years unless you live in a really bad place with roads that are just plain crap.
Most of the roads are new in my suburb, but some of the freeways can be rough in places. They are definitely worn out on mine. Even the light cracks make the banging/bottoming out sound in the back. My PT definitely rides poorly.

Does any one have any recommendations for good shocks/struts? I'm not interested in lowering this, as we will have winter conditions to deal with soon.

Thanks!
Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Monroe shocks are an excellant choice. I replaced rear shocks with Monroes at 80,000 miles. Front struts, shock with new coil spring combined are available in Moroe. You stated there is a banging sound from the rear, might check the Watts linkage bushing, known problem area in PT's.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your reply and advice! I'll go ahead and pick up those Monroe's and while I'm at it, pick up the watts linkage bushing as well. Hopefully, this will make it run nice and smooth again.

Have a great weekend!