Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rocker panel rust!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rocker panel rust!

Anyone have the rust repaired at the rear wheel rocker panel area?
Is this something I should take to a pro to have fixed?
I do know that I need to remove the shields and clean out all the junk that I find inside the rocker and fix the rust in that location also.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Rocker panel rust!

PRO, as an EX body man, there is only one way to get rid of rust, REMOVE IT completly, cut it out, and thats not something to try unless you have done it before, or have lots of time to get it right.

I live where they use SALT on the roads so Am also concerned about the rust areas of these cars. I did notice in the back corner, inside the fender well of the rear tire is Hole .. so to speak, its jsut a spot where there is no plastic, no liner nothing (its factory, not a rust hole).. that has to be a horrible spot to build up dirt and water... hence rust in front of rear wheels.. Seems really stupid to have a hole there. I havent looked alot, maybe its not a spot anything can collect.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

wow, are you sure it was not hit in that area ,,
i have not seen any rust on the ones here in the jersey shore,,
my 2001 has rust only where it was repaired,
sorry,,
use a pro, not the cheapest, macco,,
Old 28 Sep 2010, 03:19 am
Cool Cruiser

They say that rust never sleeps, so I must get a closer look at the area and see if I can correct the issue or if I must take it to a pro. I'll post some pics of what I find.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome

Last edited by oldcoach; 28 Sep 2010 at 03:24 am.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Rocker panel rust!

Hey their oldcoach,

I am going to have to agree with going ahead and taking it in to have someone fix it in a Shop. As previously mentioned, the only real way to cure the cancer is to cut and remove the effected sections, and either fabricate or find some new panels and fill in the spots where the problem was. You will need a Torch, Welding Equipment, Body Tools, and a good working knoledge of working with sheet metal, body fillers, correct primers, and finally paint and primer both of which are required by Federal Law now to be Water Borne Primer and Paint which is way more expensive compared to the older Solvent Base, and though the newer Water Borne lays down nicely, and is relatively easy to work with, it also lays down really watery kinda like Candies do so its way easy to wind up with defects or runs if not right on top of things, and Water Borne Paints tend to take way longer to dry so its a good idea to have that booth and ovens to bake the Paint.

So with all the stuff , and knowledge you have to have to pull something like this off, and do it correctly, its just not worth it not to have someone with the tools, background, and shop to do it. You don't want to mess around when correcting Rust as it could so easily spread and create even more of a mess. That's my two Cents on it anyway for what its worth.

I wish you the best as always. Let me know if I might be of anymore help.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 28 Sep 2010, 07:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are you talking about this area

see attached, rear wheel well with inner plastic insert removed.

Notice muck in the bottom. I cleaned it out, painted everything in there with Eastwoods Rust encapsulator and top coated with Chasis Black. Then coated with Anti rust.

ALso pulled the two rubber grommets and flooded the inside of the rocker with Fluid Film, note have nothing to do with the websire listed , just info on the product

http://www.fluid-film.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InnerFendermuckcompressed.JPG (26.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0639wheelwell.JPG (19.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg EastwoodsAntiRust.jpg (16.4 KB, 40 views)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Last edited by VNT; 28 Sep 2010 at 07:36 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 08:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Any one know what the rust through warranty is on a 2002?
After removing the side pipes and getting a close look at it, the rust is all the way through the rocker and that will tak some work to fix. Looking to see just what the body rust warranty is.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:34 am
Young Cruiser

Do any cars have a rust warranty? I know there was a short time it was mentioned, but I havent heard anything in the last few years. 2002, I really doubt its anything over 3 years (isnt that the standard Chrysler warranty?). I feel for ya, I had a 2002 Alero 2 door, it had rust in front of rear wheels in 2006.. 3 friggin years.. and the car was kept clean and not drove on anything but pavement.. I live on the MN border in ND, I "think" MN still uses salt on the roads during winter.. evil stuff. Just some spots on cars Dirt collects, then gets wet, no air or sun to dry it.... Like sitting it in a bucket of water, rust will happen.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I believe the Chrysler warranty was 5 years "perforation" repair. 3 years on paint.

Chrysler in Canada sold a 10 years rust warranty as an extra. It was an application of a wax type product.