Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
small difference in local and highway MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default small difference in local and highway MPG

For many passenger cars I saw, their highway MPG is significantly higher than local MPG, for example, my HHR has 30mpg on highway while 23mpg on local. The highway MPG is about 30% higher.

But my PT Cruiser is a different story. I got about 22~23mpg on highway, 21~21mpg on local.

Is that because our PT is special?
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: small difference in local and highway MPG

If your traveling anywhere at about 65+ n the highway, the aerodynamic shape of the cruiser (picture a brick) is gonna eat a lot more gas trying to push it's way through the wind. That's why your highway mileage isn't a big difference from your city mileage. Cut the speed down say 10mph and you'll notice your mileage get a lot better.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If your traveling anywhere at about 65+ n the highway, the aerodynamic shape of the cruiser (picture a brick) is gonna eat a lot more gas trying to push it's way through the wind. That's why your highway mileage isn't a big difference from your city mileage. Cut the speed down say 10mph and you'll notice your mileage get a lot better.
I do drive at 65mph on highway all the time. I often have people looking at me after they pass me.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
I do drive at 65mph on highway all the time. I often have people looking at me after they pass me.

Make sure you give them the the PT wave as they go by.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Make sure you give them the the PT wave as they go by.
Of course, using the whole hand!!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Hooligan you are absolutely correct. We just got home from a run to Dallas in our 1998 Town & Country van. 3.8L, original plugs and wires. It gets about 15 mpg in town but averaged 22.2 mpg on this run and that was driving at 70 mph no a/c down but a/c on coming back. The same trip in the 09 PT a few weeks back got the same results and it also gets about 15 mpg city driving. I firmly believe Chrysler has done some not so beneficial re-tuning to the late model PT engines because they are not as fuel efficient as the early models. This same trip in our old 02 PT would net 28-30 mpg. It did it year after year. It's a shame the old van performs as well as the newer PT. It ought to do much better. No telling what the van would do with new plugs and wires but I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 30 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't believe that there is much difference between our 2008 NA and your 2009 NA. I am averaging 22+ after 130+ fillups. I did change plugs to platinum and put performance wires on it. I also have Airaid intake filter, but don't know if it would change it that much. Why don't you start posting your mileage, gallons etc. on fuelly.com and use a larger amount of fillups.

I will tell you this, after about 1500-2000 my mileage sucked, once I passed that mark it seemed to settle down.
Good luck with your 2009. In the past we have had a 2002 & a 2006 so I do have some history with the PT's.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Sep 2010, 03:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

My wife drives the car 5 days a week to her job which is only about 6 miles from home. All city streets and stop and go traffic. The worst possible conditions for mileage. The car barely gets to operating temp. I ran some injector cleaner thru the last tank and added more this fill up. Not sure how much good it will do but it certainly can't hurt. It was a fleet car before we had it and it had 29K miles on it when we bought it. I doubt if any cleaner had ever been added. I may try a set of platinum plugs and see how it will do. I just got my K&N air filter in the mail today so that may help a little as well. It's just the stop and go town driving that kills the mileage and there isn't much we can do about it. I'm not happy with it but my wife loves the car so it's something we will have to accept. It runs good, has good acceleration and idles smoothly so nothing to fix. Tires are inflated properly, fresh oil change, brakes aren't dragging, no extra weight in the car. I think we just happened to end up with one of the gas guzzlers that people have mentioned on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I forgot it was a fleet car. Stop and go sucks gas unless you shut it off at a red light. The stock wires suck, when you do plugs do the wires also, you will have all of the garbage out of the way. raceandstreet.com has MOPAR performance wires with 10% off. I have used them on our 2002.

Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Me and Hooligan have pretty much done whatever you can to get better gas mileage out of these Pt's and it just gets average at best mileage. It may be small but it's tall and heavy. Look at my Fuely that's about what your going to get with an auto at best the manual is better. As long as gas prices stay in this range I can live with it if they go up really high than I will rethink my position even though I love my PT. I've gotten 29mpg on the parkway but you need to 55 which I find almost impossible, when I do 65 I can get maybe 24.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson