Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Insurance co. wants to use recycled parts for repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Insurance co. wants to use recycled parts for repair

Hi all. Found this site and registered today. Came about because someone recently rear-ended my 2003 Dream Cruiser. This car did not have a scratch on it and has just over 43,000 miles. The appraiser for the other insurance company has recommended removing and replacing the rear bumper cover with a "Qual Recycled Part". When I went back to the appraiser, he said this was an "industry standard" to use recycled parts. I've tried to explain to the adjuster that this is a classic, one-of-a-kind car, etc., and I would not accept a used part being put on the car. Also have contacted local dealership about parts, but they outsource their repairs. My question is does anyone know about original parts, are they still available what with PT's no longer being manufactured, where to go for info, pricing, etc.? Also, anyone had similar problem? Thanks for reading/responding and have a great day.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Insurance co. wants to use recycled parts for repair

Plenty of information on the Internet about part of your question. As far as the part dealing with NOS (New old stock) parts from the dealer, I would think the dealer would be able to tell you if there's particular parts still available.

Was your car repaired with"recycled" auto parts?

Using Recycled Parts

P.S. There's no need to post your question in more than one part of the forum. I've deleted the other post.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman

Hey their IECruiser,

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sory to hear about your problem you have going on here.

The simple answer here is "NO", I am afraid it is not the Industry Standard to push to use Aftermarket Parts (AKA Recycled Parts) when repairing your PT. The other Insurance Company is trying to go cheap on the repairs by cutting costs using less expensive and inferior parts.

The Parts the Adjuster is referring to are known as Aftermarket OEM Replacement Parts which are essentially knock offs of the original Parts, and are made to look like OEM Parts, but are unfortunately manufactured much thinner, cheaper materials. Basically if you were to pick up lest sat a front fender side by side OEM verses Aftermarket OEM Replacement, their would be a big time noticeable difference in weight as the OEM Parts are made to Original Chrysler Specs as opposed to the Aftermarket Replacement Parts only are required to meed bare minimum DOT Spec.

The Insurance is supposed to return your vehicle to the condition it was prior to the accident, and nothing less. I would explain to him again that you are requesting only OEM Parts be used in the repairs of your PT, and that you will be requiring a full estimate in writing up front which states this. I would also call your Insurance Agent and let him/Her know what is going on if the other parties Insurance is playing games with you.

I have had an incident before in which the Insurance Company tried to use Aftermarket Parts to replace my hood, left fender, front bumper, lower valance, and headlight assembly on my PT after a pick up backed into my Wife. The real kicker here was they were wanting to go cheap on parts at the same time I was working at the body shop where it was going to be repaired, and I was the guy doing the work to fix it! In this case, i called my Insurance and they said to just go ahead and pay my $500.00 deductible if I wanted and go and fix the car and they got their team of Lawyers to drag them into Court which a couple months later I got a check in the mail for $3500.00 on top of the $2800.00 it would have cost if I had brought it back to how it was prior to the accident. Instead I went and volunteered a ton of time after hours to stripping the car all the way down and re-doing the entire paint in multi layers of my own custom mixed House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine Pearl of which I followed up a couple months later with my Flames layout, so it all worked out.

At any rate, like I say, tell the Adjuster only OEM Parts period. If their is a problem, ask to speak with his Supervisor and see where that takes you, and at that same time notify your Insurance Agent and let them know what going on, and that you are not happy about it!

Also do you by chance have any photos of the damage? yes, new OEM Parts are still available. I can look up the parts and tell you roughly what the cost should be on it if you would like? Too bad you most likely don't live near me or I could fix it for you here and make sure it is done the right way.

That's my two cent anyway.

Please let me know how things go, and if you ever have any more questions, or need anything from me, I am on here several times a day and always more than happy to help wherever I can.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Candyman,

What's your opinion on recycled OEM parts?

Thanks!
Old 06 Oct 2010, 09:55 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: Insurance co. wants to use recycled parts for repair

Hey their jeremysaal,

Though I would prefer working with new parts, as long as they are truly and honestly OEM parts they are going to use, then you should be alright.

Have you picked a good body shop yet, and if so I would run it by the Body Shop Guy and see what his opinion is on this one. Explain your concern that you do not want any of the cheaper lower quality Aftermarket OEM Replacement Parts put on your PT during the repair work, but rather would like it to be brought back to where it was prior to the accident.

Another thing I would keep a close eye on is paint. I haven't seen the extent of the damage to your ride, but your Tangerine Pearl is a more difficult paint to properly match up and in my opinion should always be blended where as instead of just painting a single part like a bumper lets say where you will most likely see a color difference giving away that the car has been repaired, with blending you fade the different color fanned out over the existing surrounding paint to where you cannot visually detect any difference in color. Blending is the best way to clean up collision damage, and in my opinion should be standard procedure however as I understand it in many other parts of the Country people are trying to get away with just painting parts and hoping the Customer is fine with it. Personally I would not accept this, and I would ask the Body Shop Guy if they are going to blend the paint just to be sure. In your case, I would recommend even going to the extent where I would explain that you intend on fixing your car up as a show car and would like to try to get the paint as clean as possible. By mentioning this, hopefully the Body Shop will try to pay a little more attention to detail instead of just quickly pushing through things to get the car in and out without paying as much regard to the quality of workmanship.

Anytime you go to pick up a vehicle from a body shop, always try to do a very close visual inspection of the work done. If possible try to see the paint with the vehicle still inside the shop under florescent lighting as that will show the paint work better and in more detail than direct sunlight will. If nothing else, then do a closer inspection in direct sunlight. Never go to pick up your ride if possible in the dark, or when their is snow, rain, or any other inclement weather where you cannot better see where the repairs have been made.

When inspecting the paint, you want to look for any color difference, any small bumps or dimples indicating dirt under the paint which later may lead to the paint flaking off, any small pits, runs, or other small imperfections in the paint which may need to be corrected before taking final delivery. Do not be afraid to ask questions, or speak up if their is any issue no matter how small. Once you take delivery, then its much more difficult to resolve any issues after the fact so watch it closely.

So, be careful, pay close attention, do not be afraid to ask questions, and as always if you need any more advice, or anything I am here whenever you need me anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Old 06 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm sorry Candy, I have to disagree with you 100% on this one.

It is the industry standard to use recycled parts.

Now there's a very specific difference between LKQ (recycled) parts and aftermarket parts.

LKQ parts are OEM parts that have simply been recycled. These may come from a salvage yard or from a company that recycles parts.

Aftermarket parts are brand new parts made by a company not approved by the manufacturer to make those parts.

The industry standard for insurance repairs is to use LKQ or aftermarket parts to repair the vehicle. The insurance company's job is to restore the vehicle to the condition it was in before the wreck, which can be efficiently done with LKQ or aftermarket parts.

I worked in the body shop at my dealership for years, and this has always been the accepted practice with insurance companies.

However, if you look at your declarations page, there's actually a clause in there allowing them to use LKQ and aftermarket parts for repairs. This is something most people don't realize.
Old 07 Oct 2010, 04:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: Insurance co. wants to use recycled parts for repair

Hey their heifetz17,

I am not quite sure why we keep seeming to come to different conclusions on paint and body, maybe just different markets, or I have no idea, but just like our last discussion I believe we had with each other on blending paint, in all my experience with Collision Work, I have always been taught to, and always have blended paint on every repair I have shot, and really know of no other professional painter that I can recall ever not doing so.

As far as Parts are concerned, I have never been on the paperwork side of things so I cannot tell you what is in the Insurance Company Paperwork, though up until two years ago before I got out of Collision and went full time into doing just custom work and restorations, I believe I only used LKQ Parts twice, and never used any Aftermarket OEM Replacement Parts at all ever. Up until that point as far as I was aware OEM Replacement Parts was the Industry Standard out here. I have also talked with a few other friends of mine who are currently doing Collision and are also using the back stock of OEM Parts, and are rarely if ever using LKQ Parts in their Shops either. Though I would prefer using OEM Parts when doing any type of Collision Repair work, I do not see any problems using LKQ Parts as they are still essentially OEM Parts, and as long as they are good and viable, I do not see any reason they could not be used effectively. When I first replied to this thread, for some reason I had Aftermarket Parts on my mind and initially advised to not use anything but OEM Parts which was a bit of a misunderstanding , and miscommunication on my part for which I apologize. LKQ (Recycled Parts are not my first choice when doing Collision Repair, but are alright to use if necessary. I still would argue, and try to avoid at all cost getting into any type of Aftermarket OEM Replacement Parts of any kind under any circumstances! These are not authorized or accepted by the Manufacturer as viable parts for replacement, and are much cheaper in quality, and materials which to me is just unacceptable, and at least out here in my area the practice of using such parts in most circumstances is not tolerated by Professional Body Shops not only just from a Professional standpoint of trying to return the vehicle to its pre-accident condition, but also from a liability standpoint. Lets say we had to replace the drivers side door on a car, and opted to use an Aftermarket OEM Replacement Door which was manufactured using a much lighter gauge metal, and had half the strength of a standard OEM Replacement Door. Now lets say somewhere down the line the Customer is involved in a T-Bone Collision and dies of injuries sustained due to inferior Aftermarket Door we replaced when we did the initial repairs having collapsed upon impact. That could come back to potentially haunt most any good Body Shop in countless ways, and cause all kinds of problems, which is why I think most Shops out here try to avoid using any type of Aftermarket OEM Replacement Parts as much as possible. They just have too much potential to be dangerous!

So if it is currently the Industry Standard across the board as far as Insurance Companies are concerned to use either Recycled, or Aftermarket Parts only when performing any type of Collision Work without exception, than either several Shops out here around the So Cal area are doing things the wrong way, or like I say, maybe different Markets have some effect, or something.

I do know throughout my experience working one on one with most Dealerships throughout the San Diego area that in most cases they are always trying to keep on the absolute tightest budget they can to keep overhead down to a bare minimum. Most of the time as far as my experience, the majority of Dealerships I worked with seemed to have more of a mindset of trying to do the bare minimum amount of work to either get the job done, or get by. Not that I am saying all Dealers are like that, but out of the 18 that I had the opportunity to work with, I had only found 3 that were actually decent, and those were more in the upper Luxury Car area where they were more striving for a higher level of Customer Service and prestige.

At any rate, that is my 2 cents once again on the subject. For whatever reason we seem to not be quite on the same page when it comes to proper procedures on how to do paint and body repair. Like I say, maybe its just a different Market, or who knows. All I have to go by is how I was taught, and have been doing things out here ever since. So I recon IECruiser has a couple of different perspective's to go by which is always nice to have. I hope all worked out, or is working out whichever the case may be with IECruiser's repair work, and wish them all the best as always.

Old 08 Oct 2010, 02:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey Candyman,

It's pretty interesting how markets can be so different! You reminded me of a point I failed to mention though!

Although the insurance companies use LKQ and Aftermarket parts (different insurance companies have different policies about these, by the way. For example, State Farm won't allow any aftermarket/LKQ structural or safety parts!) we still use new OEM parts in our body shop.

The insurance company will pay us the price for the aftermarket/LKQ part, and we'll negotiate that price with our parts department so we can use OEM parts for a higher quality repair.

So technically the insurance company suggested using LKQ parts, but we still used OEM at the sacrifice of a parts markup. The end result is a much higher quality repair and a happy customer!

Body shops are free to use any parts they want, regardless of what insurance companies say. The only setback is if the insurance company pays for, say an LKQ fender at $100, and you wanted to use an OEM new one, you'd still only get paid the $100 for the part. Kinda complicated, but usually works out in the end!

Thanks for the input!
Old 08 Oct 2010, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Id bet you both already know this but when i hit a deer with my 2000 ranger i busted both headligh assemblys the grill the hoof 1 fender and the bumper cover

The Ameerican Family Adjuster came out and was writting it up he had a progran in his lap top that gave him prices + labor and everything he put in used head lamp and it wsa actually Higher from a salvage yard than a new after mrket one so he went with both new aftermarket then on the bumper cover he went with a aftermarket it came in they painted it and when they went to put it on it did nto fit and they had to go to a OEM one
all in all the job was ok but the color did not match as good as I had hoped and less than 1 year i have rust on the hood and door and the body shop is now closed
Old 08 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
Id bet you both already know this but when i hit a deer with my 2000 ranger i busted both headligh assemblys the grill the hoof 1 fender and the bumper cover

The Ameerican Family Adjuster came out and was writting it up he had a progran in his lap top that gave him prices + labor and everything he put in used head lamp and it wsa actually Higher from a salvage yard than a new after mrket one so he went with both new aftermarket then on the bumper cover he went with a aftermarket it came in they painted it and when they went to put it on it did nto fit and they had to go to a OEM one
all in all the job was ok but the color did not match as good as I had hoped and less than 1 year i have rust on the hood and door and the body shop is now closed
Yes, often body shops run into this problem when they use aftermarket parts, so it's not uncommon to end up getting OEM parts anyway!

BTW: that program is a standard estimating program. It gives parts prices, labor, paint labor, everything! The most common ones up here are Mitchell and CCC Pathways. We use CCC at our body shop. It's a much more user-friendly program than Mitchell, in my opinion!