Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel Bearing Mystery Solved?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Wheel Bearing Mystery Solved?

I was "Cruzin" the net on PT subjects and found a neat PTCruizer "How To" information guide--Ptcruizer.com. While reading some of the info I came across some info about failed wheel bearings in PT's.

There have been discussions on this forum about loose wheel nuts, or just plain bad bearings in the barrel on the day this or that PT was built; but they mentioned in this forum something different--and not so obvious.

Apparently, your wheels create an electrical charge, while turning. Makes sense to me ... anyway ... there is supposed to be a "strap" that carries this electrical charge to ground--thus bypassing your bearings. If the strap is loose or missing, the electrical charges start working away and pitting your bearings, and causing eventual failure--despite having plenty of lubricant.

Anyone ever heard of this? Apparently, the later PT's had ground straps that the earlier ones didn't have (cause Chrysler realized they had a problem).

I don't see how it works, but it makes for a good forum topic.

Any opinions?

Tim
Old 01 Oct 2010, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel Bearing Mystery Solved?

Tim,

I've been passing that information on to whoever would listen for about a year. There's probably about half a dozen topics on wheel bearings that I posted that information along with a picture of my front wheel with the ground strap pointed out. Here's just one of the threads that I gave out the information back in March of this year. ...and the early PT's did have the ground wire as you can see from the picture of my PT that came off the assembly line in Sept of 2000.

ground wires from body to front struts?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 01 Oct 2010 at 08:01 pm.
Old 01 Oct 2010, 10:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, it's the first I've heard of "static wheel-bearing wear".

The article I read mentioned that Chrysler came up with the "fix" (the ground strap") on later models. But your info (and pic) show just the opposite. So it looks like most of the "bearing problems" are still just a matter of whether or not you got the good ones that day when they fished them out of the parts barrel ....

Thanks, Crewzin.

Tim
Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Unfortunately there's no good way to tell everyone that's on the forum or comes to the forum all the good information that's in the threads that are already posted. Most don't use the search which would bring up almost everything that's already been covered. The problem is that the search brings up tons of threads and nobody really wants to read that much.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Unfortunately there's no good way to tell everyone that's on the forum or comes to the forum all the good information that's in the threads that are already posted. Most don't use the search which would bring up almost everything that's already been covered. The problem is that the search brings up tons of threads and nobody really wants to read that much.
well crewzin, not only you have to read but you have to qualify and decide wheather you have the same situation or not, for beginners or none mechanical background it would be really difficult to decide, besides that this is a forum so people interact with each other not liberary i'm not trying to be a smart ass but i really like the sticky's that you write or other members write as it has precise information and detailed instruction of how to deal with the problem in hand. i wish if there are more of them
Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you seen the sticky in the Tech & Performance part of the forum that entitled HOW TO ? It has a dozen or more HOW TO's and I've been adding to it as we go along. If there's something else you don't see, maybe I can find it and add it to the list if I think there might be enough interest from a lot of owners.

HOW TO's

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2010 at 07:05 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Have you seen the sticky in the Tech & Performance part of the forum that entitled HOW TO ? It has a dozen or more HOW TO's and I've been adding to it as we go along. If there's something else you don't see, maybe I can find it and add it to the list if I think there might be enough interest from a lot of owners.

HOW TO's
that's the first thing i look for before posting actually, while i try looking at all threads that you posted or replies you answered when i have time (i look at other members reply's or threads as well ) and i saw your note for the wheel bearing static cable, i even went and double checked it to verify it is still there and not loose or damaged
Old 02 Oct 2010, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm flattered or amazed that you look for my posts. I'm just here a lot and see most of the new posts before a lot of the others. That's what I get for being retired. I think I get it 'right' for the answers, most of the time but have been caught giving answers that could have been better.

Old 02 Oct 2010, 09:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Wheel Bearing Mystery Solved?

Be "flattered" Crewzin! WE all look forward to you tech answers!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Oct 2010, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Be "flattered" Crewzin! WE all look forward to you tech answers!
He said with a wink.