PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT cruiser Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2010, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT cruiser Overheating

I have been looking at the forum and found these posts

Loooks like this was postered in 2003. I have a 2003 pt cruiser that is overheating at high speeds with the A/C on. I call the dealership and talked to them about this and they say they have never heard of this fix? Anyone know anything about this problem? I took it to two different mechanics and they could not find a problem just charged me a dignosis fee.

03 Oct 2003, 10:36 pm
spidy134
Young Cruiser Join Date: Dec 2002
spidy134's Gallery

OVERHEATING!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with engineering today about this overheating problem that a few of us including myself have experienced the problem as we all know by now is the rad fans do not come on!! the fix should arrive at dealers within the next few weeks it's a a new flash otherwise known as a software revision the PCM is forgeting to ground the rad fan module. In the meantime if you experience this condition turn off youre vehicle and imediatly start it up again this will usually wake up the PCM may take several attempts and run youre heater on high!! I am not sure if this flash will work on stage 1 PCM but I hope it does cause I have experienced this problem with the stage 1 PCM I hope this awnsers some of your questions ask youre dealer in late October if it availabe!![:X]

spidy134
View Public Profile
Send a private message to spidy134
Find all posts by spidy134
Add spidy134 to Your Contacts

#2 (permalink) 04 Oct 2003, 01:12 am
MEXICANPT
Cool Cruiser Join Date: Aug 2003
MEXICANPT's Gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fix is already in the dealer's service department, the PCM is flashed with a standard DRBIII.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 08 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser Overheating

I'm guessing your T stat is shot. Normally if you have an increase in temp at highway speeds only it is a coolant flow issue and not an air flow issue. Highway speeds push more air through a radiator than the stock fan can.
Old 08 Oct 2010, 11:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser Overheating

I agree with Neen. You may have a radiator fan problem (most PT's will, sooner or later); but when you're out on the road and the air is rushing past your radiator, you don't need a fan, anyway (not until you stop and idle, that is). There is something else wrong with your cooling system. It could be a bad thermostat, a plugged radiator, too little coolant--all kinds of things. But not the fan--at highway speed....

Tim