PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Slight vibration in steering, squeaking noise coming from wheels, thud when braking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Slight vibration in steering, squeaking noise coming from wheels, thud when braking

Hi,

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. I have problems. 94k, second owner, no accidents.
Went to the shop, got the rear shocks replaced, timing belt and water pump, front brakes and rotors. Got the car back, and am having the following problems:

1) "Back and forth" vibration in steering wheel (goes to the left a little and the right a little when I'm driving.

2) High-pitched "squeak" each time the wheel does one revolution.

3) Loud "THUMP THUMP THUMP" each time the brake is applied until it stops.

I, unfortunately, know nothing about cars and am unsure of what this could be. I have to be out of here, back east, about a week ago (literally). I need this car fixed. I plan on taking it back to the mechanic tomorrow and having him redo something. What could the problem be? Is it safe to drive? Am I worrying over nothing? Very concerned, please help.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 07:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Slight vibration in steering, squeaking noise coming from wheels, thud when braki

My wife had a Grand Am that went "thump thump thump" when the brakes were applied.It turned out to be warped rear brake drums.We replaced the drums and never had another problem.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Slight vibration in steering, squeaking noise coming from wheels, thud when braki

Just got the front ones done and that's when the problems started... wouldn't put it past my awesome shadetree mechanic not to set the rotors right. Wonderful.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 08:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I've read your other posts about all the problems you have had.It sounds like you need to find a new mechanic.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've read the other posts also. He'd rather blame Chrysler.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL yeah, that mechanic did suck. He moved to a different state and there's no way in hell I'd go back to him (took him FIVE days to replace a wheel bearing... sheesh...). The mechanic I'm using now, he's an old man, him and his sons have a shop, and they've been working on cars FOREVER. Definitely something wrong with these brakes they put in, or the rotors, or something.... I didn't have this problem going into the shop.

Haha, they also unplugged my compressor on my A/C and 'forgot' to plug it back in... I found out, took it back to the shop, and he wanted to dig into it and keep it over the weekend (he'd had it for FIVE days to do a timing belt, shocks, and brakes... there's no way I'm being without it again)... but it's pretty much the same as being without, seeing as it's parked in my driveway and I can't get it on the road until that issue's fixed.

Learned my lesson - I'm going to like, Sears, or driving to upstate NY to get the work done next time. I really hate my lifeeeeee, anyone wanna buy my car?
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is a reason that i wish my tax money went to teaching a basic mechanics class to kids. People are getting cheated out of so much money because they haven't had any experience with simple things.
Most kids i talk to dont even know how to make a simple circuit board
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.