Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hot start issue with 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2010, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hot start issue with 2001

I had an unusual issue come up with my 2001 cruiser. When I would shut it off , after having run it for twenty minutes of driving, and then trying to imediately restart, it would crank, but not start. It had the symptoms of the classic "vapor lock", since after waiting for five minutes, it would start right up.
This kept happening as I tried troubleshooting the issue, but even the dealership garage couldn't figure it out. The fuel pump was tested, there was spark, the plugs and wires were replaced, injector cleaner, and even a complete "induction cleaning was performed, but all for not.

These were all good preventative maintenance tasks, but I didn't feel any better knowing that the hot starting issue kept happening as I kept throwing money at the theory.

In digging through the forums on starting issues, I found that there is a sequence with the turning of the key, the onboard computer, and some sensors, in order for the car to start. I figured it had to be one of those and theorized that it had to be a cam, or crank sensor. The cam sensor wasn't it, but it turns out the crank sensor was the culprit. It seems that getting OEM sensors is a must with these finicky cruisers, so don't buy the cheapest replacements with your cruiser.

I now have 158,000 miles going with this car and hope to run it out to 200,000 before retiring it, as long as nothing major fails along the way.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hot start issue with 2001

We tell anyone with a problem that turns out to be a sensor anywhere on the PT to buy MOPAR parts. The Cruiser doesn't like aftermarket parts. There has been one or two people that bought an AutoZone or other parts store sensor and it worked, but that's just luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.