Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear door won't open from inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2010, 11:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Rear door won't open from inside

Last night it was brought to my attention by a passenger in the back seat that he couldn't get out because the door latch of my 09 Cruiser didn't work. It's the door behind the driver and it acts as though the child restraint thing won't allow it to open. That's not the case since the other door works fine. The door can be opened but only from the outside. When pulling on the inside latch there doesn't seem to be much resistance. The door lock works fine. Does anybody have an idea as to what might be gonig on here and, by perchance, would there be an easy fix?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 11:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Rear door won't open from inside

Spray it with some W-D40 work it back and forth .If not working you may have to pull the panel and see whats up...
Old 11 Oct 2010, 12:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It probably is the child restraint lock.You have a switch on the inside of each rear door to activate it so you can lock each door individually.You just need to open that door from the outside and move the switch in the opposite direction from where it is now.That should take care of this issue.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
Last night it was brought to my attention by a passenger in the back seat that he couldn't get out because the door latch of my 09 Cruiser didn't work. It's the door behind the driver and it acts as though the child restraint thing won't allow it to open. That's not the case since the other door works fine. The door can be opened but only from the outside. When pulling on the inside latch there doesn't seem to be much resistance. The door lock works fine. Does anybody have an idea as to what might be gonig on here and, by perchance, would there be an easy fix?

Thanks for any insight.
Normal operation with my 08. Confirmed with other owners and my owner's manual has instructions to change how it works (page 21 and 22 speaks of auto unlock). I left mine as is and when I have passengers in the back seat, I just hit the unlock button on the driver's door and it unlocks for them.

Old 11 Oct 2010, 03:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Many thanks to you good folks who took the time to respond, especially SCBluePT. I just went out and did some searching and found the child restrait switch on that door - didn't see it last night in the dark. Flipped it to where it ought to be and the door is now functioning properly. I can't believe I was so dumb as to miss that! I'm now a happy camper thanks to you folks.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Many thanks to you good folks who took the time to respond, especially SCBluePT. I just went out and did some searching and found the child restrait switch on that door - didn't see it last night in the dark. Flipped it to where it ought to be and the door is now functioning properly. I can't believe I was so dumb as to miss that! I'm now a happy camper thanks to you folks.
Glad to hear you got it taken care of.Sometimes it's the simple things that cause the biggest headaches.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
My sister had a Chrysler car (forget what kind) and had the same problem, she had taken it to the dealer numerous times to see what was wrong, they couldn't and/or didn't find it. She told me about it, I check and flipped the restraint switch and all was fine, boy was she Pi--ed. Her husband worked for and retired from DC.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

My right rear door won't open from both the outside & inside . The car has the kiddy locks also . How can I pull the panel off or flip the switch if I can't get it open to begin with ???
Old 11 Oct 2010, 06:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972cudaguy View Post
My right rear door won't open from both the outside & inside . The car has the kiddy locks also . How can I pull the panel off or flip the switch if I can't get it open to begin with ???
I have never had to deal with an issue like this but if you remove the rear seats you might be able to get the panel off.It's dark out now so I cant see how it is held on.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 10:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972cudaguy View Post
Probably a dumb question, but have you verified that the door is actually unlocked (that the door lock button is actually in the up position)?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324