Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Transmission problems (P0700)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2010, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Transmission problems (P0700)

Hi all,

My 2006 PT cruiser (Base Model) with 84k miles on it just had the Malfunction Indicator light come on while sitting at a stop light last Monday. No unusual sounds or odors were noticed prior to, or after this light came on; however immediately after this light came on and once the stop light turned green, the car refused to go above 40mph and the car shuddered like a governor was preventing it from going above that speed limit (RPMs appeared to be fine, shifting appeared to be fine during this). So I pulled off to the side of the road, shut the car off and restarted it. I was able to continue onwards just fine for several days (basically 20 miles to/from work everyday); after several ignition cycles the malfunction indicator turned off.

However on Friday, while driving to work the Malfunction indicator came back on while on the highway and prevented me from going above 60 before shuddering like there was a governor. Once again, I pulled over, turned off and restarted the car, and continued on with no issues. Still no unusual sounds, odors, nothing seemed out of ordinary for the engine or transmission as far as shifting or high RPMs. Car acted fine coming back home from work and sat all weekend. Malfunction indicator light still on.

Today, while driving into work for the first 6 miles or so there were no issues, at which point I encountered some traffic and ended up being stopped for several minutes with the engine on; When I was able to resume driving it prevented me from going above 40 once again with the same 'governor' like symptoms; however I decided to be a bit 'adventurous' and mash the accelerator to see how it would react since prior to this i just backed off on the car until i could get out of traffic and basically the car refused to acknowledge the accelerator input at that point, even when well below 40. Once again, I pulled over and turned off and restarted the car. Was able to continue on to work and back with no other issues. On my way back home I stopped at Advanced Auto to pull the code and in came back with P0700 (also P0340, but I'm fairly certain that was a code that wasn't cleared out from awhile ago).

After searching for several hours today, I noticed that P0700 is pretty much a generic code and I have to pull codes from the TCM to get an exact diagnoses; however I was wondering if anybody had any ideas what the issue might be prior to me going to the dealership and getting this thing looked at.

Thanks!
Old 12 Oct 2010, 12:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Transmission problems (P0700)

myame thing it was the cam sensor super easy to replace and about $40 bucks
Old 12 Oct 2010, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
myame thing it was the cam sensor super easy to replace and about $40 bucks
Thanks, I'll give that a try; at $40 couldn't hurt to replace.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you could read that it was suposed to say Mine did the same thing