Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electric/Remote Works But Key Will Not Open Door Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electric/Remote Works But Key Will Not Open Door Lock

Newbie PT owner here. I picked up a 09 ex-rental to haul my wheelchair-bound Mom. Great little car, I’m really tickled with it. A lot more fun to drive than my F250.

I’ve fiddled with cars for over 35 years, did a Google search read through 20 pages of forum posts on locks but couldn’t find anything about my problem. The key will not operate the exterior cylinder. It turns but does not lock or unlock the door. The remote works fine, the interior electric rocker & manual lock switches work fine and the interior door handle overrides the lock to open the door. Is this an electric problem, some kind of switch operated by the lock cylinder that needs cleaning/lubricating, possibly related to the RKEM or is there a rod from the lock cylinder to the latch have been removed for the car's duty as a rental?

I was also wondering if there an on-line (free) exploded Master Parts Catalog for these cars?

Thanks for the help!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electric/Remote Works But Key Will Not Open Door Lock

Welcome to the Forum, sorry the on line manual that was posted had to be taken down due to propitiatory info.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Oct 2010, 01:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Since your saying "door" as in only one door, I'm guessing the key will unlock the other door just fine. If that is the case, I'd think you have a mechanical linkage problem and will need to take the door panel off to fix it.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 13 Oct 2010, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, garyerrol, that's what I was hoping. Yes, driver's door only. Besides the ignition switch, it is the only mechanical lock cylinder on the 2009.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the door panel when I got home from work- sure enough someone removed the link from the lock cylinder to the bear claw latch. $5 for one in the junkyard and it's fixed.

Last edited by gashog; 14 Oct 2010 at 04:30 pm.