Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What to do, and what not to do???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2010, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop
Default What to do, and what not to do???

Figured I would ask everyones opinion on their mods that they love, and the ones that they wish they would have used their money else where???

I just got the PT and the hamsters on the wheel in my head are spinning, but don't want to do something that others wish they didn't, or don't think it is worth the cost

Thanks!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What to do, and what not to do???

Depends on which model you have?

THe best mods are preventative maintenance ones. When I first bought mine, I changed all the fluids including oil, manual trans, coolant, bled the brakes and power steering. Then new plugs and wires. Then painted the under side and rust proofed the whole car. Then buff the paint.

First mod I guess was the mopar molded mud flaps front and rear to protect the rockers. I also installed the bug deflector for the hood. Some Tasteful chrome always look good, ie door cups, door spears, gas caps. On my 03 GT I put the factory wing on the hatch.

Performance mods, I put a stg 1 in the 03 GT, none in the 06 GT since I cant find one.

suspension, I did some work when the factory parts wore on the 03. Changed to Moog Control arms , Moog sway bar bushings/links, Moog strut bearing kits and Tokico blue struts and shocks. Also put a new watts center pivot on the 03. This was all at 100K. Rides really nice.

On the 06 left the suspension alone since it has about 45K and added the factory rear sway bar, just used stock parts.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 13 Oct 2010, 05:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coop

I have a list of prevetative mods to do. The paint really needs to be buffed out. Dull as hell!!!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm different than most on here. I don't want a lot of flashy chrome. When I got mine, I replaced the wheels with aftermarket wheels wtih black spokes and new tires. Later I replaced the antenna with a shorter one in black. Lastly I replaced the air intake with an Airaid system.

If you look at the link at the bottom of my signature file you'll see that I also have other equipment not normally found in/on PT 'Cruisers. I use mine at various runs/walks in the area so need the equipment shown.

Enjoy your Cruiser, I drive mine every day and have not been sorry that I spent the money.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
I'm different than most on here. I don't want a lot of flashy chrome. When I got mine, I replaced the wheels with aftermarket wheels wtih black spokes and new tires. Later I replaced the antenna with a shorter one in black. Lastly I replaced the air intake with an Airaid system.

If you look at the link at the bottom of my signature file you'll see that I also have other equipment not normally found in/on PT 'Cruisers. I use mine at various runs/walks in the area so need the equipment shown.

Enjoy your Cruiser, I drive mine every day and have not been sorry that I spent the money.
Most people i believe dont want flashy chrome, except the 'ethnic' ones. But creativity is awesome.
One of my favorite mods is installed a new head unit, simply because it gets the most use out of all of my mods.
Im also very fond of the spoiler install , but its always very satisfying when you see something turn out well.
I actually started a thread almost just like this a while ago, and it seemed that the answer i got over and over again was that people loved their hydraulic hood struts
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.

Last edited by Freezinghot; 13 Oct 2010 at 08:26 pm.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Pennywise, the best thing you can do to your PT--after seeing to all the maintenance issues--is to have it painted with flames. Nothing says "Don't you wish your ride was hot like mine" in quite the same way. And flames can be very creative if you get involved with the painter and come up with a unique design ....

As far as chrome goes, I like the chrome grill kits--although I haven't bought them, yet. But that's enough chrome for me.

Tim
Old 13 Oct 2010, 10:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Pennywise, the best thing you can do to your PT--after seeing to all the maintenance issues--is to have it painted with flames. Nothing says "Don't you wish your ride was hot like mine" in quite the same way. And flames can be very creative if you get involved with the painter and come up with a unique design ....

As far as chrome goes, I like the chrome grill kits--although I haven't bought them, yet. But that's enough chrome for me.

Tim
I agree with the chrome 100%, modesty is the best. Thats also why i dont care for flames unless its like a Candyman paint, where its more of a centerpeice of the car. You want your money into the engine not showy stuff. Make it fast before you make it look fast, as i always say.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 02:05 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: What to do, and what not to do???

Hey their Freezinghot,

I sure do appreciate that.

And Coop,

A lot really depends on what you are wanting to do, what kind of look your going for, how much of a budget, how much you can do yourself, and just how crazy you are wanting to get. To me I really like to see mods that were not bought at a store, but rather one off mods the Owner did themselves that truly makes their Ride totally unique to them and thus stand apart from the crowd. That in my mind makes a true custom car, and its those types of mods that goes a long ways in my book.

As for my mods I am most proud of I would say my paint, suspension, and audio/video system. I did everything from design to final finish on my PT and tried hard to find a good overall balance to things without trying to be too flashy, but rather just clean. Same thing with my engine so far with the only real bling I have done externally was to have my stock aluminum intake manifold polished for a bit cleaner look.

Here are a couple of pic's for ya.

Though I am happy with my ride, I always have big dreams for what I would like to do to it. If I had my way I would do a power sliding rag top, suicide the rear doors, shave the handles, emblems, french the antenna, do a split tailgate with the top half opening up and the bottom half down, custom fabricate a new forward tilt hood set up out of a 90's BMW hood bracket set up, smooth out and reshape the fenders both front and back, shave the tail lights, finally hang and smooth in my roll pan which has the back up lights shaved and a custom flush mount lexan cover that fits over the frenched license plate box and add some custom smoothed in flush mount LED brake lights with a third LED mounted in the wing, have a custom set of Foose Design Billet 1" and 20" staggered wheels made, fiberglass in a custom one off dash which would have a one piece floor console which would run from the dash to the trunk and tie into a new custom sub enclosure, and the list goes on and on. That's what keeps me up late at night dreaming about.

Their are tons of things you can do to mod out your PT and make it into something way cool. Like I say, it just comes down to what you want to do, and how far you want to take it.

And lastly, if you would like to buff out your ride and get it looking like new again, I have a step by step detailing guide at the top of the detail section of this forum as well. Their hopefully is a bit of somewhat useful information in their that might be helpful. Here is a Link for ya.

PT Automotive Detailing Guide Quick Reference

Anyways if you ever need any good solid advice on anything and everything from custom paint and body mods, to custom interior work, and so on, please feel free to look me up anytime and I am always more than happy to try to help out wherever I can.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 14 Oct 2010 at 02:11 am.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 03:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

So candyman? what keeps you from doing all that? Most doesnt seem like it would be a money issue, so it would probably have to come down to time spent and planning right?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 03:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: What to do, and what not to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
So candyman? what keeps you from doing all that? Most doesnt seem like it would be a money issue, so it would probably have to come down to time spent and planning right?
Money is written all over his post in one way or another. Time and labor for shops to do most of those mods are insane. Foose wheels to begin with are expensive, but he's planning on CUSTOM ones.

But one day, Don. One day!