PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gear Shift panel in 2006 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2010, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gear Shift panel in 2006 PT Cruiser

Hello

I wasn't too sure where to put this but I have a question about the gear shift panel...I have a 2006 Cruiser and the gear shift panel doesn't light up when I turn the lights on (I have to use the dash board to see what gear shift I am in) At the dealer I got the car from I asked them about this and they said that it's not supposed to light up. Is there anyone here who has an 06 cruiser and the gear shift panel doesn't light up? It makes no sense to me that it doesnt..esp. since my mom rented a cruiser a couple of months ago and the panel lit up (then again it was an 08 but still...) If it is supposed to light up is it possible (and cheap?) to get a replacement bulb and how hard is it to fix?

Thanks for any help!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Gear Shift panel in 2006 PT Cruiser

The shift panel is supposed to light up.Sounds like the dealer just does'nt want to fix it.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought so...

Dealers can be mean and careless..esp. if its a female customer

Do you know if it might be the light bulb that's out cause the rest of the lights in the car are fine. Would it be an easy fix if I can do it myself and I just need to find a replacement bulb?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It is replaceable, but the shift ball has to be removed, and the center cowling lifted. It isn't something I would try and do myself. I am 71 and a mechanic among other things. I would try and find a trustworthy mechanic and have them do it.

Just because you are a female is no reason you can't demand that the dealer replace it. DO NOT back down, was there any kind of warranty you received with the car, most have at least a 30 day warranty.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There was a 30 day warranty and I had a three month warranty on the transmmission, suspension ,etc but they have expired as I got the car in March. I went to two dealers and they both told me that it wasn't supposed to light up. I didn't believe them but I didn't press the matter...

My grandfather is pretty good with cars and he said that he was going to look at the gear shift tomorrow and he might be able to fix it for me.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

you don't need to remove the shift knob. i did mine twice on my 06 already. there are 2 screws under the front cup holder lining (the rubber part pulls out of the cupholder), and 2 or 3 screws in the bottom of the console - at the back (open the armrest and look in the bottom). remove the screws, and you'll be able to lift the console enough to get your fingers in there (a little tight access). access the bulb holder from the driver side - twist 1/4 turn and it's out. takes a 194 dash bulb.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 04:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My grandfather was able to replace the bulb in the panel. It took him a while but he did it lol. It's so nice to be able to look down and see the gear shift lit at night now.