Advertisements
It Could Happen to Your PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2010, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default It Could Happen to Your PT

Good evening everyone!

I have a question that relates to all cars--not just our PT's.

My daughter owns a '93 Honda Del Sol (it's a kinda of a sporty two-seater that you can take the top off of and stick it in the trunk if you want your hair to dry real fast on your way to work while listening to the Beach Boys on the CD).

Anyway, Becky parks her car near our front lawn sprinklers (there's no other place for her to park, since I'm not about to park our PT in that spot for reasons you'll soon realize). When the sprinklers are on--and the wind blows some of the city water onto her car--over time, and many applications of city water, there has developed a mineral residue on the windows on the left side of her car. This hard-water residue won't come off with Windex--or any other window-cleaning product I've tried, so far. Does anyone know of a product that will eliminate these hard-water mineral deposits from her windows? Something that won't harm the glass, I mean. If you know of such a product, write and let me know.

Tim
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: It Could Happen to Your PT

Had the same problem with a used 09 we bought a couple of months ago. Looked at my car car supplys and found a bottle of "Blue Magic" headlight restore polish. It's a very fine abrasive and seemed to do a reasonable job of cleaning the glass.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ive used rubbing compund to remove water spots from glass before. Works great but if you do not have a DA, lots of work.

Candyman may have something better though if he see this post.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 03:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: It Could Happen to Your PT

Hey their mdfrodolives,

Yep, it is an unfortunate truth that hard water spots can be a very real an serious problem when dealing with most anything cosmetic on a vehicle.

One of the easiest, safest, and usually most effective methods of repairing hard water deposits from glass is usually with a Detailing Clay Bar which is designed to remove most parasitic contaminates from paint, plastic, glass, and most other types of exterior automotive surfaces in a safe and effective manner.

The Clay is really easy to use and usually comes in a Kit with everything you need including a Clay Bar, a Lubricating Spray, and a Microfiber Towel. For a good explanation of how to properly use a Clay Bar, here is a Link to a write up from my Detailing Guide in the Detailing Section of this Forum that should give you the basic idea.

Guide to Detailing Your PT: Claying Your Paint

Their are several decent Detailing Clay Bar Kits available. I would probably recommend either Mother's as my first choice, and Meguiar's as my second choice. Here are Links to both Products.

Mother's
Mothers Clay Bar System California Gold

Meguiar's
Meguiar's C2000 <br>Professional Detailing Clay <br>Mild - 200g

The other alternative would be to go with a good Micro-abrasive like a mild Compound, or better yet, a Plastic Cleaner and Polish like Meguiar's No. 10 & No. 17 Plastic Cleaner and Polish Chemicals designed specifically to remove minor scratches and imperfections, remove any parasitic contaminants, and restore clarity in various forms of plastic and glass components. Here is a Link to both Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner, and Polish.

Meguiar's No. 10 & No. 17 Plastic Care

Though it would go much faster with either a DA, or Rotary style Buffer, or a Drill and one of those Mother's Power Ball Adapters, or something similar to help speed the job up, it is not necessary. This task can be done just as effectively by hand.

All you do for application by hand is take a clean Microfiber Towel folded into four, apply a small amount of Plastic Cleaner to one corner of one side, and apply with medium pressure in small circles. Continue to go back and forth a couple of times to insure you have a smooth surface, and then flip your Towel over and use the clean side to wipe down the excess Chemical. Repeat this process if necessary to make sure you have removed all of the Mineral Hard Water Deposits from the Glass Surface Area.

Then move on to the Plastic Polish which will further clean the glass surface and create a form of protective barrier against future problems. This Plastic Polish will also help keep problems from forming on your B and C Piller's on your doors which are also very well known for problems with water spotting as well. The application process is the same as mentioned above.

And last but not least, I always like to go over most everything on my ride with a good coat of Paste Wax to give it that last form of protection against future problems. The idea is, if you are going to ultimately get any type of parasitic materials like Hard Water Spotting, and so forth, you would like for the deposits to contaminate the wax barrier rather than your paint, glass, or other related type of surface. I always recommend Paste Wax as I feel it adds a stronger, longer lasting form of protection, and in this case will have a better molecular bond rather than Liquid Wax which has a higher volume of Water Content which is formulated to be easier for Consumers to use on Paint Surfaces over Paste Wax, and is easier to use with Orbital Buffers over Paste Waxes. In this case, both Mothers California Gold Carnauba Pure paste Wax, or Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 Paste Wax will do a good job. Here are Links to both once again.

Mother's Paste Wax
Mothers California Gold Carnauba Pure Waxes

Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 Paste
Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 Paste

Either method outlined above should resolve the Water Spot Issue, and hopefully give some form of protection. Of course the best thing would be to either try to avoid the area at least while the sprinklers are on, or possibly invest in a good Car Cover to try as hard as possible to avoid as much direct contact with the hard water as possible.

If you have any more questions, or these neither method mentioned above seems to resolve your problems, please feel free to contact me anytime and I can try to walk you through some additional things you can try.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OP, don't you have the same problem on the side of the PT???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Oct 2010, 11:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll go for Candyman's Clay Bar procedure. It seems to be the easiest and safest way to do the job. When I'm finished with the windows, I'll see what it does for the paint.

As far as my PT is concerned--I never park it in that area of the driveway. The PT spends its time in the garage--when not on the road.

Tim
Old 21 Oct 2010, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I use Zaino Z12 Clear View Glass Polish

Works great on your windows to get all the crud out and water spots

Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish: Zaino Store

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Update: Okay, I tried Candyman's suggestion and bought a Mother's Clay Bar kit. It didn't do diddly with my hard water stains (and I followed the directions, believe me). Then I got creative and tried some Lime Away on the same window. After all, it works on bathroom fixtures and show glass right? Wrong!

Then I got smart and called up a local auto-glass shop. They told me to use Nothin's Better Water Stain Remover. It sounded like something my grandpa might have bought in 1906, but I went down to Napa and bought a container, anyway.

The stuff works like a miracle!

It's a fine powder, and you dip a damp wash cloth into it and start rubbing a palm-size section at a time. When the glass starts to squeak, then you've removed the deposits. Well, I did as the directions said--and I heard the squeek! It didn't take that much time or effort, and the results were amazing (I must admit, after the first two methods I was not expecting much).

Anyway, it works on a lot of other surfaces--chrome, aluminum, stainless, porcelain, etc. So ... I'm convinced.

Tim
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Glad to hear that worked for you.I'll have to remember that in the future.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 09:38 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll bet Lime Away or CLR would have worked just as well, and probably for a lot less $$.