PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How much is timing belt/water pump installed by mechanic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2010, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How much is timing belt/water pump installed by mechanic?

Hi

My 2003 GT Turbo now has 108k. Owners manual said to replace timing belt at 105k. I will of course have water pump replaced. Should I also have timing belt tensioner replaced? Any recommendation for a good but not expensive mechanic in NW suburbs of Chicago. I live and work in Arlington Heights. NTB quoted me $700 including parts and labor. Seems rather high.

Anybody else let me know what they paid to have installed by mechanic would be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 22 Oct 2010, 05:31 pm
Banned

Default Re: How much is timing belt/water pump installed by mechanic?

That usually runs between $800 and $1200 so you've got a good price. If I were you I'd get a second and third price quote so you won't be guessing about this.

Jerry
Old 22 Oct 2010, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rock Auto parts has a kit that has all you will need.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Oct 2010, 02:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

that is a good price the parts i would replace are the water pump---tensioners---serpentine belt---timing belt and check the motor mount

after the price of the parts you will have some anti freeze and the a/c i think will need recharged it is like $700 labor around my part of this great country
Old 23 Oct 2010, 06:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

That is as good a price as you will find to have it done by a professional.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually, the price seems a bit on the low side. I'd be a little skeptical concerning what you're going to get for $700.00. Has this mechanic worked on PT's before? There's a lot of labor involved ....

I'd love to find someone for $700.00 who really knows what he's doing to change my timing belt/water pump/all other belts/serpentine adjuster, when the time comes ....

Tim
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

$700 from NTB (National Tire and Battery) is a division of Sears, The $700 quote only includes water pump and timing belt and labor (tax is extra). GT Turbo is used and I have no history from prior owner. Clearly I can see all other belts and hoses have been replaced. I have to assume timing belt is original and I am not willing to take a chance. The manager know set up of engine as he even had invoice for a Neon that he just changed same items. He also did recommend the tensioner as well for an extra $79. So then total bill would be $779 plus tax.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well I dont think you will beat that price any place around here
Old 02 Nov 2010, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just happened to me over the weekend. Mechanic quote was $1377 and another mechanic told me that is probably without purcahse and installation of a special dealer kit that runs another $300. $1400-$1800 is absurd for a car worth 2,500 tops.

some of the posted quotes are much lower and worth considering. suggestions in sarasota area?
Old 02 Nov 2010, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

150 miles directly north of you. Got all the parts from RockAuto Auto Parts for about $280 and the local Chrysler/Dodge dealer did the whole job for $800 labor. Only thing he found was a small leak at the crank end which needed 2 small gaskets. The area was already accessible so 1/2 more hour in labor and the cost of a couple gaskets.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.