PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
skipping gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2010, 12:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Question skipping gears

Hi,

I have a PT Cruiser (manual 5 fwd + reverse) from 2003, live in the city, with an occasional 45mph drive on way from home to work.

Is it ok for me to shift gears from 3rd gear (around 3000rpm, 35mph) to 5th gear (~1200 RPM) provided if I switch gears a little slower so the engine can slow down enough not to wear the clutch too much?

My reasoning is that I supposed to drive in 4th gear around 45mph, the motor would be running little over 2000rpm. If I can select 5th gear at 1500rpm, I hope there will be less wear and give me a better fuel economy.

I am aware that at 35mph, ~1200rpm, the engine is running slow, and does not have plenty of force (=torque?); but I don't mind.

I just want to save gas and prolong engine life, until I read somewhere you should not skip gears but go from 1 to 2 to 3 etc... Is this true, or a bit bull for beginners?
I know how to drive safely with a manual transmission, without rocking the car back and forth.

Comments, opinions?

thanks!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: skipping gears

Skipping gears is not problem. The only problem is lugging the engine. The non turbo doesn't like running under 2000. The turbo is more forgiving.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 10:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

I do it all the time on all my cars. Just don't let the RPM's go too low.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

5-speeds is fairly recent - earlier cars had 3- speed transmissions - so skip away...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: skipping gears

I honestly feel that the 5 gears are a bit much. Especially when you switch to 5th gear normally BEFORE 50mph.

In other words, the first 50mph (or 50% of the speedometer) is devoted to the first 4 gears. The 5th gear takes the car from 50 to 120mph (or the remaining 50% of the speedometer).

Especially at startup I find I need to switch (the first three) gears frequently.
This is good for when you're towing something, but as a car it better had a 1,5 gear on the 1th gear, delete the second gear, and get the third gear as the second. get a 4,5 and a 5,5 gear.
It would be much better for driving....

What you mentioned above I also noticed,
The engine does not like much below 2000RPM (low acceleration), while above this to about 3500-~4000 RPM the engine really pushes you to the seat; is there any explanation for this (some form of stock supercharger; I don't have a turbo btw)?

Last edited by ProDigit; 26 Oct 2010 at 09:34 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All cars have a "power band". The automatic non-turbo PT is anywhere above about 3000. Not a lot of power until you reach it. Enough to keep up with 99% of the normal traffic but it starts pushing and running better when you hit that band.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 12:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Interesting!

In this "power band" I suppose engines use more fuel. How is the torq/fuel consumption ratio within this band compared to below?
Eg: If I would drive with the engine always below 2000rpm, would I use as much gasoline as when I would use it at 3500rpm (only at 3500 I would accelerate faster)?
Or perhaps the ratio remains the same, more gasoline, but also more torq?
Or perhaps in this power band, the engine uses waay more gasoline compared to the acceleration it is able to achieve?
Old 29 Oct 2010, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That is a easy question well kind of anyway

the Pt is not a MPG car it will give you between 20-25 some say 27

I think some even said 30 but that is not the case most of the time ,,and never with me i get 21-23 and I live on the interstate running at about 75mph
the power curve is where the engin is running fast enought to keep the tranny from down shifting over and over if you try to drive a non turbo at 50 with the cruse on it will shif shift shift it is trying to stay in high but not enought go to keep it there

if you run at 75 and put on the curse it will pretty much stay there

Smoothness is the key to mpg so in reality running in the curve should help save on fuel

but again there is not a lot of diffrence running at 75 i get 21 running at 60 i get maybe 22.3-23 the PT runs way better in the 3000-4000 range
Old 29 Oct 2010, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
That is a easy question well kind of anyway

the Pt is not a MPG car it will give you between 20-25 some say 27

I think some even said 30 but that is not the case most of the time ,,and never with me i get 21-23 and I live on the interstate running at about 75mph
the power curve is where the engine is running fast enough to keep the tranny from down shifting over and over if you try to drive a non turbo at 50 with the cruse on it will shift, shift shift it is trying to stay in high but not enought go to keep it there

if you run at 75 and put on the curse it will pretty much stay there.

Smoothness is the key to mpg so in reality running in the curve should help save on fuel

but again there is not a lot of difference running at 75 i get 21 running at 60 i get maybe 22.3-23 the PT runs way better in the 3000-4000 range
Curious to know what kind of curse do you use, seeing it's so close to Halloween!!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Oct 2010, 02:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm using a manual transmission, so I can drive in 5th gear all the time if I wanted to (on anything above 35MPH).

Tags
damage, skipping gears